Thread: getting stuff done!

Hybrid View

Wow, you've been busy!

Why di yoy have 12V and 24V house banks? The Vanner equalizer is what is used to satisfy 12V needs from a 24V bank.

I recommend you give serious consideration to a residential refrigerator. Trace inverters are up to the task of powering the fridge.

A bent aluminum wheel. I wonder how often one of these gets bent?

Pictures...we want pictures.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Pictures will be forthcoming Gil.
    Really busy right now but see the light at the end of the tunnel.

The vanner was putting out 17+ volts with a 26.5 input. Beats me why. I take it that the 12v output gets connected to loads only and I really don't need 12v batteries. I had it connected to the positive 12v busbar. Oops.

If I knew why this coach was set up like this I would tell you believe me. I guess the client wanted Royal to build it this way.

It all works good with the 12 volt pack supplying all the 12 volt loads and the 24 volt running the Trace. The trace does run some electric heaters and the center cruisair.
    It will also be required to run the induction range and the existing norcold fridge once I get them on the right circuits. I could really use some help!

I agree it would be nice to rely on the vanner instead of carting 4 12 volt batteries around.

I like the idea of a residential fridge but there is none that would fit. The Novakool is 12/24 volt so I could feed it
    from the house 12v or the 24v agm northstars or the starting (chassis) batteries if needed.
    Plus it is an exact fit for the spot. I plan on installing some solar too. Did I mention we don't really plug in much.
    We prefer to find a nice spot in the desert or mountains with no one around and enjoy nature. Not something we
    have found in a rv park or resort. On our Airstream Landyacht we got along fine with 2 group 29 napa's and a 1000 watt magnum for the residential fridge. But then we had 500 watts of solar to keep food cold with.

I get it that this is a whole new ballgame with the Prevost. And I admit I really do not know what I am doing.
    But I am learning thanks to this site and each problem I come across. Biggest problem right now is the horn nkt working an me knowing nothing about how to troubleshoot it. So if you can shed some light???
    Last edited by sandz; 12-21-2018 at 10:30 PM. Reason: confusion

Gotcha on boondocking. I've never looked at power use between a residential fridge and a DC powered unit. Of course, fit means a lot.

I've seen a couple Prevosts with solar panels. One covered most of the roof. I wonder why I haven't seen wind generators installed, like those used by sailboats. Sure, it would have to be stowed for travel, but they aren't that big.
    Last edited by Gil_J; 12-22-2018 at 07:38 AM.

Gil and Durlene

Solar Fabric. The possibilities r endless. Awnings, window shades I've even seen purse flaps with it for phone charging.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 12-22-2018 at 06:56 PM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

"Figured out" the horn issue.

There is a 3 way switch on the dash that I could not figure out what it did. Center off. Up for air horns. Down for city horn.

Figures! Horns work now! I might put a label on these switches when I figure out what they do.

Prevosts can make one be humble can't they.

Stephen, That's a lot of work, good for sticking with it.

Another request for pics here and also.. which particular cooktop did you go with. I am exploring possible replacements for a Gaggenau 2 burner as well.

John,

Many owners have switched out their cooktop for an induction cooktop. There's a seller on eBay out of St Pete with a German made unit many use because it fits.

My coach's cooktop was a 120V unit, so it was worthless. I got a deal on a Wolf, but had to have a SS plate made to put under it to cover the slight gap it had on one end of the opening used by the original unit.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Qnuiinjs5zg2q16z7

Gil and Durlene

I used 2 two burner units side by side ...NutriChef Model : PKSTIND52 ...found on amazon. They are 120 volts each. 1800 watts. I have one of them powered by the trace inverter. Works great! I did have to cut 1/4" off the side of the cutput in the corian.