Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hello all in POG - Greetings from the Sooner State

Congradulations. My first impressions r u will be a great stuart and happy camper.

Gill, what was that we were recently talking about regarding jake brake chassis?? Max jake only triggers 4 of 6 cylinders, is that what u mentioned?
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

Gotcha. Is your OTR air Marathon's or Prevost's. Both Marathon and Country Coach had their own OTR air for a few years.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Joe, correct. I forget what year I looked at. It's low was 2 cylinders and high was 4 cylinders. I wonder if there is a reason why 6 cylinders should not be used? 4 and 6 would make more sense to me. Low is worthless in every coach I've driven.

Gil and Durlene

Gil it is Prevost's. Has the BIG United Technologies (Carrier?) compressor lower curbside. I've only come across three Marathon's from this era for sale that had it. What I DIDN'T see was a smaller compressor anywhere for dash air. Does it just use the bus air system?

And Joe I hope your first impressions are correct!

Pics hopefully
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yes Bill only 1 compressor, but it's the macdaddy. All your trucker friends will be envious.

So u got an XLV Marathon with OTR AC with a straight axle and a jake brake instead of the trans brake. That's all good stuff. Lots of upgrade options for the ECM for the early ones too.

If u r in the cold up north with it run the hvac on the a/c side and turn the thermostat to desired temp, it will work better and be more comfortable.

U only have control of 1 duct the one that comes out at the right side of the throttle at the floor. U can open and close that. Everything else is open with no blend doors for dash or floor.

1 other thing go to the center of the front bumper and the ledge of the bus above it facing down. Feel there with your hand there is a grate. There is a blend door there it is for recirculating or letting in outside air. All the fuzz and foam deteriorates away from the blend door and it leaks like a screen door on a submarine. So regardless of whether it's cold out or it's hot out you should repair that blend door but until you do cover the grate up and your HVAC for the dash and the cockpit will perform way better.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 12-09-2018 at 12:22 PM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

Looking good!

Gil and Durlene

Thx and Thank you Joe for that info. I will check grate behind bumper and cover. And I'm hoping NOT to spend much time in the "cold up north", but I'm guessing that runs the a/c and dehumidifies.
    Last edited by BGLogistics; 12-09-2018 at 12:50 PM.

It's not behind it it's above it, in the middle facing towards the ground.

Looking at the pics u have the manual adjuster for the serpentine belt. That's obsolete now. There r pieces for it above and beyond the bearing that go and all that's left of them is new old stock. Take care of it. The auto tensioner is aprox 1500 lew bucks could have been more my memory isint a$ good when I'm spending someone else's money.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 12-09-2018 at 01:44 PM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens