Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Hello all in POG - Greetings from the Sooner State

Joe is the manual adjuster a Detroit Diesel part or Prevost specific, and any idea on NOS price? I've always been a parts hoarder anyway.

Yep, the auto tensioner kit is pricey. Keep an eye on eBay. I've seen new ones for as little as $600. The kirby will allow you to added the alternator vent. I see your 90 degree gear drive doesn't have a vent line either. Easy and cheap add.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Are these gear-drive and alternator "vents" simply ducting for cooling airflow? Or something else?

The alternator vent is to reduce the pressure on the front seal in some situations. The gear case vent is to reduce the blow by that comes out of the dip stick tube.

Gil and Durlene

OK I get that. A lot like a vent on a drive axle or auto trans case on a vehicle. I sure have a lot to learn. Gonna be fun tho!

I would get a used auto tensioner, lots around. Also as mentioned earlier there is a Kit from Detroit Diesel to go from DDEC2 to DDEC 3.

I will look into those things once it's home. For some reason I was thinking it was a DDEC 3 but not sure where I came up with that. Thx.

A 95 shell should have a DDEC-III. The DDEC-IV was introduced in 97.

Gil and Durlene

As you already know it's titled as a 96 but it is a 95 Prevost shell.

Hello again - just got home from FL yesterday with our bus. It looked beautiful when we left, after rain in TX and OK it is covered in road grime now. Needs a bath for sure. Dealer in Ft Myers had set us up for an orientation in Clearwater with a guy that was a service manager for Marathon in the early to late 90's. He knew this bus inside and out - had a shop/conversion facility where we parked, hooked up, stayed overnight and probably got the best quick tutorial/PDI possible anywhere for this bus. He even remembered seeing it long ago.

Series 60 engine temp on the trip home stayed in the 205-210 range with HIGH FAN off. Oil temp was 200 (based on guages). With HIGH FAN on, both were closer to 185-190. Which I would think would be more appropriate? Thoughts on this appreciated.