Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hello all in POG - Greetings from the Sooner State

Hello,

My number is 405 503 9857... look forward to visiting with you..

Gil thx for that info. Initially, didn't dismiss any - had two different sellers measure roof height and both told me wouldn't fit 12' door or bldg. Both were XL's. First guy said I had to have a 14' door to "fit one of these". Second seller said his door was 13' and 12' wouldn't work. That was why I limited search to no roof airs (which from what I read necessitates some form of OTR), no satellite dome, observation deck etc. Don't want to get one home and it not fit. And believe it or not, it has been really difficult - almost next to impossible to get ANYONE - private seller or dealer sales person - to get me ACTUAL EXACT measurements. Most simply never reply back, so I was at least thankful for the two that did.
    Last edited by BGLogistics; 11-16-2018 at 10:11 PM. Reason: added info

Dthomas thank you I will save your number and call in the near future. I'm flying out tomorrow to go look at what appears to be an XL in great shape with next to nothing on the roof. Be back Monday if all goes as planned, I'll post how it goes.

I just looked at the specs. An XL is 136.75" tall over the closed roof hatch, 3" taller if it's entertainer height. Some motorhomes were entertainer height. I don't know how tall the commercial roof hatch is. I'd guess 2".

So, you will have at least 7.25" clearance to the roof hatch height. BTW, the motorhomes don't have the roof hatch. You need 10" minimum for Dometic Penguin roof airs without the option for through the coach drains, another 3/4" with drains.

I'd say a nonentertainer height XL will be approximately 12' 3" minus the height of a roof hatch with roof airs without drains. My gut feel is you won't have to lower the coach by more than an inch or two to get it into your garage.

BTW, no one is responding to your height request because it's too hard to do without a laser level. The roof has a crown, so it's not as easy as putting a tape up to the side of it.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

I only have 12 1/2 feet clearance at my door. I had no problems getting in the door with a satellite dome on top of the bus.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Update - We bought the 1996 XL 40 Marathon conversion I had flown to go see three or more weeks ago. Hadn't posted been crazy busy since then - previously planned trip to Rochester, NY for my inlaws 60th anniversary - then on to NYC for a few days. Left parking garage in Chelsea Manhattan Thursday eve 8:30 pm (Eastern) and pulled in here Friday 9:30 pm (Central), about 1460 miles. Other than fuel, food, coffee etc. had one 2 hour nap. Got lucky with weather, van looks like it's been through an artic blizzard but roads were fine.
    Anyway, coach is bought and paid for, we have the assigned title but need to go get it in FL as soon as we can. There was no time to get it home before the NY trip, and I needed to wire a 50 amp plug in barn (done now).
    It has 101K miles, Series 60, Prevost bus air, 3 Cruiseairs, 20K turbo generator with 2400+ hrs, solid front axle. Nothing on roof other than a folding tv dish. This coach actually had every box checked as for ideal for what we wanted, and absolutely loved the interior. It was a trade-in at Marathon in FL by someone in OH that wintered in FL. Possibly a member here? It was listed on RVT in Ft. Myers, FL by RV Resources, an affiliate of Southwest Luxury Coach Sales (Phoenix, AZ) who actually owned it. They are a site sponsor here I believe - thru happenstance I actually spoke to the owner of SW Luxury Coach Sales, Scott Buchannan. He told me it had been a trade-in at Marathon, and they had called him and said "You're gonna want this one". It does appear extremely clean and well cared for - it is absloutely beautiful.
    My first question of many more to come I'm sure. What will I need to do to store this thing in an unheated barn? It will be plugged in to power. All ideas/suggestions welcome.

Congrats on your new to you coach.

You have 2 options for winter storage. You can rely on power to keep the water bay and interior temps above freezing. If you can't or don't want to rely on power, you should consider winterizing the water systems.

I would leave one inverter/charger on to maintain the house batteries. Keep the inverter mode disabled, if that's an option with your inverter. Keep the generator autostart off given the coach is indoors. Better yet, turn of or disconnect the generator start battery. Keep the chassis battery charger on if it has one and it's a smart charger.

Although not required, if you have jack stands you might consider supporting the coach on jack stands. This will take weight off the tires and you won't be bothered with the coach leaning or sagging.

Gil and Durlene

I would rather rely on power if that is sufficient. I have a lot to learn as far as inverters/settings and what they do/don't charge etc. I can't ask an intelligent question about any of that until I get hands on. Given that......... would the generator start even tho coach is on shore power? I know there are two inverters but nothing beyond that. Would those not keep the house/chassis/generator batteries charged automatically? Or is that all coach/converter specific?

And I do have some 6 ton jack stands, those may not be sufficient.
    Last edited by BGLogistics; 12-08-2018 at 09:14 PM. Reason: added info

The should only start if the AGS is engaged and the house batteries get depleted. Given it's a Liberty, it may have a Watchdog controller for its AGS.

You'll have to check on whether the chassis and generator batteries have anything that keeps them charged when the coach is off. If you have a chassis battery charger it may be a single stage charger. If so, you should replace it.

Keep your water bay heater on. You likely have a bay heater in the electronics bay too. Electrons don't care about cold and electronics prefer cold. I would not use that heater.

Gil and Durlene

Gil thx for replies. It is one of the not so common (apparently) Marathon conversions with bus air, not Liberty.