Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hello all in POG - Greetings from the Sooner State

Default Hello all in POG - Greetings from the Sooner State

My wife and I decided awhile back we wanted a coach. Been researching last few months and Prevost is our decided favorite. We have narrowed it down to an XL model due to height of our existing barn. Height limit is 12'. That is header height (rolling steel doors) and also height to bottom of trusses.

Although research indicates XL roof height at 130-131 inches excluding anything mounted on roof, I can't seem to get a definitive answer if this is correct. No roof airs or tall satellite dome are a given. Research also indicates these chassis will lower 4" and raise 4" (approx) below or above normal ride height - which I assume is the 131" measurement. Can a bus be moved in a straight line forward or back while lowered if needed for clearance? Figured I'd ask the experts.

Thanks in advance,
    Billy & Lisa Gaines
    Piedmont, OK

In a word, yes. Be a rare bird to have nothing on the roof but I'd think roof vents aren't any taller than the horns.

Now with the convienient portable dishs if it's not on the roof it's very little inconvenience to pull it out of a bay and set it somewhere.

If after getting it through the door u have to leave it dropped a staight axle steer axle will be able to do that without premature failure of upper a arm bushings that r only found on IFS
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 11-14-2018 at 05:33 PM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

Thank you Joe. Prob a rare bird indeed but we've actually found a few. Difficulty is finding everything we need/like in the same vehicle. One will show up eventually. Was the switch to IFS across the board for the 95 (chassis, not coach year), or a running production change?

Ideal coach needs full bus air, Prevost OTR (preferred) but CC version or similiar would be OK if we liked everything else. Without ability to have roof airs I don't think basement/cruise airs for travel would be satisfactory (for us -I like the ability to be cold). I've had many years experience with 8V92TA's and Series 60's. While I like the two strokes (love that sound), when the 60's came out in OTR tractors they were a gigantic leap fwd. That being said I wouldn't walk away from an 8V if all else was ideal. Those 8V/6V92's idle smoother than any inline 6 diesel I've been around. I own a 379 Pete with a 3406E CAT, too bad Prevost didn't build any coaches with those - pulls like a freight train.

I've learned alot reading thru the forums here, thanks again for the input!

There r plenty of mid 90s XL and XLV liberty's with straight axles and they also used cruisair and the roofs have very little on them. Rocky has one. If u can go back to ride height once u r inside, front suspension type would not be a concern.

Straight axles ride just as good, possibly softer when compared to a IFS front end with 365s with 18000lbs or more on it. They r also less complicated and less costly to keep. I do not view a straight axle as a detriment. In a lot of ways it's a plus but not a deal breaker either way unless u have to keep suspension dumped over long periods I do not suggest that.

That vintage could also be a jake brake instead of the trans retarder.

Nothing sounds like a 3406 gettin goin, pulling a hill at 5mph with 80000lb at 900 rpm with little to no throttle. Gettin er all the way up and thru 7th gear direct range, barley seeing 1200rpm along the way. It's cerebral. Cats growl just like they should.

Buses, they just sound like buses. Sosorry
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 11-14-2018 at 08:49 PM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

I'm an old diehard straight axle fan. Got a few 79 Broncos - love that chassis. Between header and first truss is 5', that should accomodate horns, spotlight etc. Thx again!

Hello,

I am just down the road in Edmond...I have a 98 Featherlight and have 3 cruise airs. In the hottest months, they keep the coach comfortable. Let me know if you would like to take a look at my coach...

The change to IFS would be a good question for the Prevo techs this winter at West palm beach.

It happened during the mid 90s if u get my drift. As one general rule the Hs often got the changes first.

For example there r many mid 90s chassis with Rockwell disk steer brake, drum drive brake and knore bremse disc tag all on the same chassis.

Another thing you're going to be surprised to see Prevost used stud piloted hubs and rims for almost a decade after the trucking industry started moving to Hub piloted I work on lots of O2 and O3 buses that still have stud piloted hubs and rims.

This is Pier at work
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 11-15-2018 at 08:06 AM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

Yes absolutely would. Whenever convenient. 405-627-6700 is my # or I can call - just need #.

I had actually seen a post here regarding the stud piloted wheels, showed a pic of two lug nuts if I remember correctly. Maybe yours?

Low profile roof airs are 9-11" high. So, you'll be okay.

Newer in motion satellite antennas will be a problem. Stationary satellite antennas will be no problem.

I'm not sure why you will be dismissing coaches without Prevost over-the-road air. Yes, it can freeze you out. But dash air and 2 roof airs running off inverters should be adequate.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion