Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Major Repair Choices

Thanks guys.

12 22.5 tires r very difficult to find now. I can't remember how long it's been since I looked for the size looks like their day has come.

Even though 315/80 should be on 9in rims be prepared to either mount them on 8&1/2 in rims or upgrading to 9in rims with the change.

On the older lighter buses where exessive pressure is not required to carry the load the steer and tag position is a non issue and wear correctly. When putting 315 80 on duels on the drive axle with 8.5in rims 100 psi is preferable, no less even with the lighter load and this is to keep the sidewalls off each other at the bottom where they squat when u pressure down. With lower pressure they will touch at the bottom between them at the squat, maybe not static but when driving on rough road they will kiss in the middle at the bottom.

Another thing is if u do go to 9in rims on the drives the inner rim needs to be steel or the added thickness of the flange on an aluminum inner rim will get the outer tire outer side wall right up against the rubber fenders when the suspensions working.

I can hear it already Michilan says do not put 315 80 on a 8.5in rim. For info sake only I had 315 80s on my 84 on 8.5 inch rims and they continue on that bus with its current owner without incident.

Couldn't tell you what a new set of nine inch polished aluminum rims cost don't know. I think they r ugly the style holes r too small and also make the inside tire a bitch to air up but there it is, the disclamer. Buyer beware.

This chassis is going to make a great example of what it takes to really message an older bus and we have quite a few new members with these older vintages. I'll brake it all down as I go, should prove to be help for those of u that have them and recently arrived here with part numbers and prices and labor involved.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 11-13-2018 at 07:27 PM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

Joe, will 295s carry the load? Just a thought given the rim width.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion