Thread: Aquahot Question

Default Aquahot Question

Hello, recently I purchased a 1998 Featherlight XL and I am learning all the ins and out of the coach. Is it ok to leave the electric heater on and the diesel heater on when running my Aquahot system? Or should it be just one at at time?

Thanks!!

This is how I use to use that system and never had a problem:
    I did a lot of dry camping when I had a Aquahot system in a Beaver Patriot, I would turn the electric off because I had an Onan QD generator and it used to drive me nuts reving up every time that element would come on. I would just use the electric if I was plugged in, and just the diesel if dry camping, and only if I needed hot water or heat, since it was quick to provide either with a flip of the switch, but yes, you can leave them both on, it will make hot water faster, if you have a lot of folks taking showers or something like that.
    One note, the electric only isn't enough to make adequate heat.
    Last edited by Dave D; 10-12-2018 at 10:29 AM.

Thanks Dave, is it ok to leave both on? Does electric or diesel override the other? A little explanation why I am asking. When I purchased the coach two months ago, I knew the Aquahot was not operating. This was first on my list to get it going. Marathon of Dallas is close and a fantastic place to go. After servicing, replacing the 12v fan motor and the fuel injector, I am good to go.

I use my coach constantly and never plan on winterizing. It is parked outside by my garage and I check it daily. Oklahoma where I live has a few weeks of freezing weather. On another thread it mentions keeping your water tank full, as it is harder to freeze when full. Also keep hot water in the tank as that helps heat the bays. My thoughts on turning on the diesal and electric on those nights is if one of them fail the other would be a backup to keep water hot.

I always want to keep redundant systems going on the coach during freezing weather. Along with the Aquahot,I have electric heater in bay and will use it also.

Inside the coach I plan on opening cabinet doors in Galley and bathroom and Shower, Using the Aquahot as a heater, and as the redundant system, my electric toe kickers. I have three cruise airs and my understanding they will heat, but won't keep up with freezing temps.

I am just trying to make sure I never have a frozen water bay and or lines.

It might be easier to explain with a phone call. Give me a call.
    425-308-8658

I know the after taste of RV antifreeze is not good, but I'd winterize if the coach is unattended. An Aquahot is not repairable if the domestic water loop freezes. A new AH can be upwards of $10K.

To minimize the after taste, blow the lines out after you winterize.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion