Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New to us 1985 Prevost XL

Beautiful Coach!!

Beautiful coach inside and out. Royal is noted for nice interiors and uncomplicated systems, so you should have a winning combination.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Very nice. It's got the old school tail lights, leave them it dates it wonderfully. IMHO LED would not enhance it. Those r 24v tail light bulbs do not make the mistake of trying 12v bulbs. 1157 bulbs have the same socket and sometimes r strong enough to carry the curent without burning out and then get so hot it melts the lenses I've seen that more than once. I also like the old school docking lights IE marine bow lights.

How is the Level low configured, is it 3 separate buttons?

It's titled an 85 but the chassis is what, 84 possibly?

Mine was an 84.

Did u get any service history? Unless very recently the shocks have been replaced do it. And put Koni up front if not all the way around. Don't wait.

That's a non computer engine with a mechanical throttle. U r going to have to help the cruise control in the hills with your right foot but it was ok ith me I'd rather be driving it anyway.

2018-08-08 17.10.09.jpg
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 10-08-2018 at 09:13 PM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

Nice! You already show pride in ownership.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

One other thing is if u only have 2 front shocks u can and should, very easily, put 2 more. A huge difference.

A real close look at your photos shows those 2 full baths. That's a great floor plan I can't believe it didn't catch on I've never seen a bus like that before. A rear master bath and a full front bath next to the fridge drivers side, and a 40 no less. Brilliant I Love it.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 10-08-2018 at 11:25 PM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

Thank you guys for the positive comments. We do have pride of ownership already and we haven't taken delivery yet.
    Not sure about the level low controls. Thanks for the tips on the tail lights and shocks, I had wondered about just what is 24 volt on this coach. We like the 3 round taillight look.
    The front bay doors open and lock from the inside as well as the outside, and have portholes. "Crew quarters"...at one time there was a hatch in the salon.
    We decided to take a chance on the coach because of the interior and we are prepared to fix whatever it needs to make it 100%.
    We have a lot to learn and are looking forward to the learning . It is going to be a month or so before we can get out to CA to pick it up.
    The conversion was finished in 1985 and it is titled as a 1985 so it is most likely a 1984 shell I would think.
    Again thanks for the positive comments and information.

Here is a link to a pdf file from the July 1985 National Bus Trader article about this coach. It appeared in their annual conversion issue. Changes of course have been made to the coach since new, but very interesting report.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B88...w?usp=drivesdk

Update

We just traveled to CA from NM and are working on our new coach!

Most stuff seems to work although some buttons and switches need to be cleaned. Have not been under the coach yet.
    Motor cranks right up and sounds really good. Level low works and air pressures builds quick and all seem fine.
    It has a row of 6 momentary switchs for level low not automatic on this coach.
    Seller put all new batterys in it so good there. It needs new tires. The Firestones look new but are 16 years old!
    We are planning on getting 8 Yokohama 104ZR in 12r 22.5 put on soon at Reliable Tire in West Sacramento.
    They do tires for 500 school busses here and recommend the 104zr. Not driving it yet want to check it all out first.

Everything inside is as nice as we hoped. Pulling the dishwasher and trash compactor and ice maker. They all
    Work but we wouldn't use them. The toilet in the front head needs work. Haven't tried the webasto yet. The A/C's
    seem to work ok but we are plugged into 30 amp so only running one at a time.

We have a month or more planned to get this coach up to snuff and ready for the road.

Been reading posts here and elsewhere and realize we have lots to learn and do. Not planning on "zeroing"
    it out but do want to try to make it safe and as trouble free as possible. Might need help with some stuff.
    Planning on doing as much as we can ourselves and we do live in it and plan on racking up the miles.

Very little documentation with the bus. Just a couple owners manuals and manuals for the tv's etc.
    It does have a manual for the big Trace inverter. A few invoices for some work done a couple years
    ago.

The trip out here from NM went well and we saw some fantastic scenery. Stopped by four corners and Monument Valley.
    The area around Zion NP is stunning. HWY 14 north of Zion was one of the prettiest drives we have ever taken.
    8% grades and it was snowing a bit at 9000 feet. Stopped at Little A' le' Inn on the extraterrestial hwy in NV.
    All in all we spent zero dollars on camping and about 600 on fuel going the 1400 miles.
    Came over the Sierra at Lake Tahoe. Fall colors are popping in the mountains.
    Last trip for us in the Airstream Landyacht!! Lots of good memories in the old LY.
    Many great times ahead in the Wishing Star!

Joe Camper the tail lights have been changed to led already. Haven't checked the shocks or slack adjusters etc.
    We are hoping to have you check our coach out sometime down the road.

Thanks to everyone on this forum for all your posts. A HUGE help!

Sounds like a great start to future journeys.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Love the wood interior Yacht look ! Good luck and Safe travels !