Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New to us 1985 Prevost XL

Steve another thing to take a close look at. The right angle gearbox shaft and bearing block that drives the radiator fan. Remove the belt completely from the pulley and grab the pulley and see if there is both slop or end play there should be none to minimal in either direction. Make sure there's not a small ring spinning around on the shaft between the pulley and the bearing block and indication of a bearing starting to go south.

Then also the other end deeper in. Check the oil in the gearbox and change it.

Rotate the ring and pinion inside the gearbox completely a few times by turning the shaft by hand and feel it while you're doing it make sure it's very fluid it's not nachi.

The service interval for that grease fitting on the bearing block in my opinion should be 1 or 2 pumps every 500 miles. Prevo says service interval on that is daily.

They r usually over greased or never greased ya gotta hit the sweet spot cause it can easily make a complete mess
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 10-30-2018 at 07:44 PM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

Thanks Joe, you are really heping me out, I can use all the help I can get believe me.
    I went to the local welder here and ordered some stands today. I did reach my camera under the coach and took some pics.
    The bus looks pretty good. Airbags and shocks and brake cans etc. I also took some pics in the steering bay.
    When I press any of the 6 level buttons I hear a click under the dash area and can hear air either escaping going down or filling going up.
    The ride height valve actuators also look ok from what I can tell.

valve in steering bay1.jpgvalve in steering bay 2.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images