Thread: Direct TV going digital 2019

Default Direct TV going digital 2019

Has anyone research the conversion by Direct TV to digital signal. Direct TV tech told me this week the in motion satellite "Winegard" will not pick up the signal once they change. Here is Winegard's response to my question. Has anyone looked into this?
    Cal
    At this time we are onlyaware that at some point in 2019 DirecTV will now longer support SD receivers,not that SD broadcasts are being stopped.

Due to the way DirecTVbroadcasts HD signals our SD only systems cannot receive them. If DirecTVchanges how they broadcast HD signals when they implement any change then ourSD only systems may be able to receive DirecTV HD. At this time DirecTV has notprovided us with any detailed information what a discontinuation of SDbroadcasts would entail should it take place. Until they provide us with thatinformation we do not know how our systems will be affected.

Thank you,
    WinegardCustomer Support
    800-288-8094/800-788-4417

I can't imagine DirecTV being to open with thier planned change. Very few subscribers are limited in their ability to receive HD broadcasts today. I can't of anyone outside of the in motion vehicle market that will be affected. Even the yachting market can receive in motion HD.

What they are going to do with the SD broadcasting Ku-band satellite is anyone's guess. My guess is they are going to make it their streaming service bird or they are taking it out of service for replacement. Although I haven't looked in years, I bet every satellite parking space is still taken. It's possible they actually put an IP switching bird it's place for streaming services.

The bottom line is you may not want to buy an in motion DirecTV system.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Default Direct TV

Gil, the issue is that is what is on my coach. Winegard satellite receiver and a DTV system inside. Just looking for advice what to do or what is the work around if in fact DTV changes. I have to believe many owners of boats and RV's are affected by this.

Cal

The way I read that wingard is saying their standard Def receivers "may" be able to receive the better HD signal after the change but they currently do knot know if it is possible because direct has not yet told them exactly how they r going to do it.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    9 Speed Roadranger
    708 243 7871

Cal,

You won't know until DirecTV makes their change. I sure would not invest in an in motion DirecTV system now.

FWIW, many of the large boat systems, which are all in motion, will be unaffected as they use the HD satellites today.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Guys it's simple. If you have an older non SWM Winegard HD dish, you can add a SWM kit and uograde to SWM HD receivers. If you have an older non SWM in motion, it will not work. The new KVH and Winegard SWM smaller in motion dishes will work and will receive full HD programming when the change takes place. ALL standard def receivers will no longer work. If you have standard def receivers, you will be receiving new HD receivers for free in the mail with instructions to replace the standard def receivers by September 2019. I have already been taking in customers that have received the new receivers. I highly recommend switching to the KVH RV-1. It is a little more expensive up front than the winegard but it is totally field serviceable. You have to remove the Winegard and send it back for repair. The electronics used in the KVH is proven and much more robust and advanced than the competition. It is the same technology used in the marine segment. Take that for what it's worth and thank me later..lol

BTW...I'm the only "Master Service Center" for Winegard in our area that works exclusively on Prevost and they won't evem allow us to work on the in motion dish, but KVH will overnight parts to us...FWIW

Sorry about the sideways picture..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Donnie Myers; 10-04-2018 at 11:08 AM.

I don't have the manuals for the unit on my coach. DoI have to crawl up on the coach to get the model number off the Winegard.? The only thing I know is the unit is smaller than the KVH I used to have on another coach.

Cal