Thread: New Member.. Aspiring Nomad

Default New Member.. Aspiring Nomad

Good morning.

Just joined. I've been researching and reading and pondering for a few years.

The quick and dirty. My wife and I. (Middle 40s to early 50s) are planning to buy a coach. My job affords me with the ability to start work from about 160 cities all over the country.

I'm not sure how we will like the 'closeness' of some of the RV parks. We're much more 'wide open spaces' kind of people. Will be the two of us, and a couple dogs. My thought is that we will be out and about when I'm home... and the RV in parks hooked up when I'm not. I work a week at a time, then off a week.

We have plans to eventually (life and sick parents getting in the way) go to FL and rent a large class A to try out dry camping, park camping.

What appeals to me is an older, non slide coach.

I've only been on one Prevost so far. It was a marathon, XL, and non slide. I'm taller, and I plan to check out a H3, and see what the ceiling height is like.

Plan to be in FL in early Nov. My initial plan was to go over to Tradewinds, as they seem to have a few there. See what more I can learn and touch.

I'm relatively handy. I built a 36x72 shop with 14' doors in anticipation of eventually having a coach. Other than adding some higher capacity jacks to my tool obsession.. I think I'm equipped pretty good.

Realistically.. I'm probably 3 years away from buying a coach. I'd probably have the cash to buy one outright by that point (at the price range I'm looking at 150 or so) but it seems wise not to spend you last penny.. so I may go with a half or 2/3 down kind of plan.. and be able to absorb a 20k possible first year hit to bring a bus up to snuff.

So many questions.. so much to learn.

Jason

Tall?

The XLII has a taller ceiling height than the H3. The H3 has taller basement bays. Just a heads up.
    Les Stallings
    Crossville TN
    2006 Country Coach XLII

The XL came in 3 interior heights. The older 96" wide coaches had the shortest interior height. The later XLs came in 2 heights. The taller was typically fir entertainers, but some motorhome shells came in the taller height. Vision is one converter that went with the taller units.

The other variable to ceiling height is how low the ceiling was dropped for ductwork.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Quote Originally Posted by BadFitter View Post
    Tall?

The XLII has a taller ceiling height than the H3. The H3 has taller basement bays. Just a heads up.
    Yes, that's what I'd read. I'm about 6'1" and our first home had really short ceilings, so I'm a bit sensitive to them.

Just from looks alone, I think a coach with double couches would be our choice at the moment. I'd love to plan on pulling my new F-250 as a toad... but I'm not sure my wife would like driving it around town when I'm away. She has a Ford Flex... I guess that's the other option, or a purpose purchased toad.

Now, if I can get my wife to slowly allow the dog pack to get down to two.

JP