As I finish my pre-trip service I stopped by my local Detroit dealer. One of the things on my list was a SCA coolant filter. The parts guy says which one, the $20 one or the $100 one. I had to ask what the difference was. The $100 dollar one is a Need Release version that only supplies SCAs as required rather than the one time dump of the $20 one. It seems like we should get much more life out of the Need Release version and that it won't supply SCAs until and unless needed. BTW, I didn't pay $100.

Here's some coolant information. In this document it states the following on Need Release filtersDDC-SVC-BRO-0002_2017.pdf for the document:

Need-Release Coolant Filters (STANDARD LIFE COOLANT ONLY)

Need-Release coolant filters are available for Series 50, Series 60 and pre-2016 DD series engines. Membranes in the filters
release SCAs before the coolant approaches a corrosive condition, protecting the engine from corrosion. The need-release
elements release the SCA charge as needed, as opposed to the maintenance SCA elements, which instantaneously release the
SCA charge. Need-release coolant filter elements should be replaced after one year or 100,000 miles (160,000 km), or 3,000
operating hours, whichever comes first.

Always learning something.