Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Turbo on Det series 60 cut out

Over the 8 years of Prevost ownership I have followed manyS-60 running/ operation issues. The one sensor that is often over looked and has a reputation of intermit failure is the coolant sensor located in reservoir.
    Just for grins..... ask tech if the coolant level has been checked ?
    Did the tech physically look inside tank actually seeing the coolant level ?

This sensor lives in a very hostile environment ...which has explained it's reputation of failure.
    AL
    Al
    2007 Marathon #1075
    H3-45 3/Valid slides
    2010 GMC Arcadia AWD
    3rd Marathon, 1-XL 2-H's

I got the bad news late yesterday. The ECM is fried. They used a temporary unit and drove it for 100 miles with no malfunction. The cost estimate I was told last night could be as high as 3500. I called Prevost to see if they sell them and the Midwest service tech told me they buy them from Detroit. He said the best bet is have your repair shop deal direct with Detroit. the repair shop is an authorized Detroit repair shop. I don't want to take a chance on a used /rebuilt unit with no warranty. Don't need that headache.

Expecting to have a least 5 grand in this thing when it's over.

Cal

Cal,

There are tuners out there that do some level of repair. You might want to with one of them.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Your wise to address the warranty replacement up front as no one wants to buy 2.
    Do some research on your new ECM. .... if a problem on the road and your new to the bus ECM takes a dive how will this be handled ?
    Purchased from Detroit will warranty be accepted at another shop. This may not be important and I'am bringing this up so at least consideration on purchase of ECM is discussed and written on the repair billing invoice.

AL
    Last edited by BoaterAl; 09-08-2018 at 02:11 PM.
    Al
    2007 Marathon #1075
    H3-45 3/Valid slides
    2010 GMC Arcadia AWD
    3rd Marathon, 1-XL 2-H's

Guy's, still having issues with the turbo on the Detroit. Replaced the ECM with a new one. Engine runs great except this weekend went for a 500 mile run and the turbo had a couple of burps then the coach ran fine again. We were 60 miles from home when the turbo died and would not lick in again for 60 miles. I mile from the garage it fired up with full power. Started up on Sunday to put some fuel in it and it ran fine for a short distance.

I spoke with a Prevost tech who thought it might be the barometric pressure sensor on the engine that is malfunctioning. He had 2 2001 coaches with the same problem and replacing the sensors took care of it. Before I ask my repair shop to check it out has anyone had this part fail and cause the turbo to cut in and out? Any other sensors to look at?
    Help is appreciated.

Cal

Disconnect and plug the vacuum hose to the wastegate. That should eliminate the turbo. There was a barometric pressure problem that was fixed with a remote sensor. If you don't have the remote sensor I'd find it unusual for 2 ECUs to have the same issue.

Gil and Durlene

Gil, stupid question, where is the remote sensor located?

One more question, has anyone had to replace the barometric pressure sensor on the engine? It is located in the front of the engine in a very tight spot. Prevost tech told me it is done but difficult. Looks like you need a special tools, mirrors and a very small body to get back in there. Any hints to pass along? This is the next step to try and solve the turbo intermittent issues.

Cal
    Last edited by Cal Krupa; 10-10-2018 at 07:09 AM.

Cal,

Some are in the wire loom above the starter and others above the flywheel.
    http://www.detroitdieselengines.info...re-sensor.html

Gil and Durlene

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123