Thread: Thomas compressor 405

lewpopp Guest

Default Thomas compressor 405

Some where in this mess I read about some of you guys installing a pancake compressor in the generator compartment. I read it last nite and cannot locate the conversation.

I have a Thomas 52349 405ADC38/12 and replaced it about 3 years ago for $189. I kept the old one to rebuild. The rebuild kit #650571 can be purchased from Kershaw Automation for $72.

Why do you need to get a large pancake compressor because I guess it only runs the toilet and the floor slide at the entrance.

I have yet to rebuild the old unit, but why wouldn't that compressor fit into the generator compartment a lot easier?

I think I'll post the same thing on the "Stuff" channel and see if I get a reaction.

I think the different converters used the aux air system for different purposes. I can think of several purposes on my coach and others may have completely different uses for aux air.

On my coach I think the aux air handles my belt tensioners, driver's seat, floor slide, pocket doors, bed lift, generator air bags, and possibly the actuator side of the Norgren valves.

I think my front door air lock is from the primary or secondary air system.

As you can see from the above not all aux air compressors are single purpose.

ken&ellen Guest

Jon, That was Dale on Prevost-Stuff. I was the one with the Thomas 405 that seems to only function as a provider of air pressure for my flush toilet. My Liberty does not have pocket doors nor belt tensioners that operate pneumatically. My air seat works fine, but off the main air supply. My aux compressor, 405ADC38/12, stopped working. I put it on the bench only to find the thermal had broken away....Thomas does not offer a repair kit for that problem. I used solder to bridge the current with the theory that if heat builds up the solder will melt. I ran a couple of cycles and scanned the motor with a infared themometer....the temp never exceeded the ambient air temp.
    Ken

lewpopp Guest

You guys never cease to amaze me.

I guess I'm in with a real bunch of engineers, especially when the ambient temperatures are being tested.

I guess the rebuild kit that I mentioned does not repair what was wrong with your compressor, right?

Lew, We need to talk. The only reason it sounds like we know what we are talking about is because we are all making this stuff up.

How can a guy that sells jerk chicken bones, or a guy that goes 10,000 miles from home so he can sit in a hotel room and play on the internet know anything?

The best thing about the upcoming rally will be the people watching.

Yeah, and I can't wait to WATCH Jon fix my bus.

lewpopp Guest

Great !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A GEEK RALLY !!!!!!!!!

ken&ellen Guest

Lew, I will check out Kershaw Auto for a replacement. I had found it at WW Grainers. Does anyone have an alternative supplier? Thanks. Ken

Side Bar: Working in this forward bay gave me the opportunity to clean and repaint.

Just a word of caution guys. If the ladies read how fastidious we are with the never seen parts of our coaches we will all end up doing house cleaning jobs.

Perhaps we need to brag about how deep the grease is, or how grungy our engines look. Except for Mango, I don't think the rest of us would look good in an apron.

ken&ellen Guest

Too late. Since I am retired my wife leaves a " to do " list....including the interior of the coach as she heads out the door each morning. I do not mind the apron...the high heels kill my calves. Ken