Thread: How many passengers can I carry on a double slide 2001 marathon h3

Default How many passengers can I carry on a double slide 2001 marathon h3

I’m using my RV for business purposes traveling from state to state I’ll probably have one or possibly two drivers. I plan on putting a Murphy bed in the rear bedroom area so I can flip it up and have two couches in the back. In the front I will have 2 6 1/2 foot couches and a Four person in dinette. Including the drivers and I that would be a total of about 17 people. The average coach loaded with fuel and water weighs about 53,000 pounds what would be the maximum number of people I can carry in this. RV. I would have a minimal amount of weight in the bays below the RV. 2001 double slide marathon h3

thank you for your advice Dr gboya12 @aol.com. 201-663-0935

Dr Gboya,
    I also have a 2001 Double Marathon H3, so I suspect our capacities are the same.
    If you look at the plate behind the drivers seat, it will tell you the cargo Capacity. Mine shows 510kg (which is 1124 lbs). If you assume 70kg/person (which is a bit low for US people), you'd only be able to accommodate 7. With Driver/passenger, you're at 9 people.
    Of course the Prevost chassis was designed to handle 50+ people as a passenger coach, but that was before Marathon added 1000's of lbs to make it an RV.
    Im sure you could do a few more than 9 easily, but 17 might be pushing it.

Another approach, get your coach weighed. Mine is normally about 59000, we live in it so it's loaded with 'stuff'. If your H is less than 59000lbs with X passengers, then I think you're fine. Full/Empty fuel, water, grey,black makes a huge difference. According to my calculations, the weight of each person is equal to about 25 gal of liquid, whether diesel, fresh, grey, etc. So reducing your liquid quantity can help accommodate more people.
    Joe & Diane Hoffman
    Prior coach: 2001 Marathon H3-45
    Sold the coach.
    For details: https://intelopment.wix.com/prevost/

Thank you For the response I don’t plan on caring much gear at all in the bays below. Since I’m only using this for business travel and the maximum number of days I’ll be away is probably 3/5 at a time there’s no need to carry a lot of extra gear or supplies. Therefore I’ll check with the maximum load carrying weight is. Does Marathon ever state how many passengers you can carry…???

On the plate behind the drivers seat it states how many passengers. Mine says 2! But I suspect that's some DOT rules crap about forward facing seat belts.
    Joe & Diane Hoffman
    Prior coach: 2001 Marathon H3-45
    Sold the coach.
    For details: https://intelopment.wix.com/prevost/

It sounds like you are converting a motorhome into a commercial vehicle. That will require a lot of changes. Your passenger compartment will be limited by legal seatbelts. The slide can not support legal seatbelts without reinforcement structure. BTW, you will also require roof escape hatches.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Quote Originally Posted by Hoffman View Post
    On the plate behind the drivers seat it states how many passengers. Mine says 2! But I suspect that's some DOT rules crap about forward facing seat belts.
    That must be a Marathon placard. I've never seen Prevost identify maximum number of passengers on their unfinished vehicles.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

I say limitations r based on how skinny the passengers u r hauling r and their willingness to ride uncomfortably.

Skys the limit.

The responces r almost as humerous to me as the question.

A nonslide could pack in a few more. Dont forget to count the toilet seat but only if u put seat belts for it.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 10-17-2021 at 09:40 AM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Camper View Post
    Dont forget to count the toilet seat but only if u put seat belts for it.
    Hey I thought they only did that in small business jets!!!

Sorry for the rude responce couldnt help it. Realisticly I think its comical to be worrying about weight even if u packed in like cattle.

For 3 to 5 days out u will obviously be using hotels so if u want to all remain friends.......

2 up front

2 on couch A

2 on couch B

2 in the didette

2 on the bed

10 max realisticly to assume 17 is nuts.

Anybody displaying flatchalism or smelly feet get the bedroom.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines