Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Engine temperature

I agree with Gill. That hub with the red bolts clearly fastened is a 3rd gen hub. Tough to see what holes they r in, stored holes or locked holes. U could also remove all those red bolts and see if it frees up. If it does then confirm it kicks in like it should, could be its been locked in with good reason.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

Another thing to check is make sure you have I believe it is 50 psi going to the belt tensioner bags. I see in the picture the your tensioner is very loose which is fine. But just makes me wonder if you have a major air leak not allowing the 50 psi to go to the bag allowing the belt to slip. My bus will go all winter and my belt bags are still have tension on them. Just a thought
    Last edited by Flatbroke; 08-29-2019 at 04:03 PM.

Open your back engine bay doors and stick your head in there and look up at the back inside wall of bus and you will see a red handle there and beside that you will see what looks like a tire valve you would use to inflate a tire. Put a good digital air gauge on that and make sure you have 50 psi there.

Thanks, checking the air pressure is on the list. The picture you are referring to was with the leveling control in the dump position which I think releases air form the tensioning system too. After reading Joe Campers post on some of the front suspension boots being under stress in the down position I have started leaving it full of air.

Mark and Debbie Fratto
    1998 Parliament

Pulled relay 99 with key off and clutch still locked. Tensioning bellows did loose air. So two problems arghh. Appt with Fort Worth Prevost for a new clutch :-(

next time when I have more flexibility in my schedule I will try this on my own

lets hope this solves the AC temp issue as well

Mark and Debbie Fratto
    1998 Parliament

If the clutch stays locked, replacing it will not help over heating. Could you see 4 bolts, the size of the red ones, installed near the edge of the clutch near the fan. You see the bolts or open threaded bolt holes.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Open holes. Without taking it apart I don’t know why it’s locked up but it is not the red bolts. Assuming the fans been running in high speed it probably won’t fix the potential overheating problem but I’m not comfortable with the locked up hub and I have two 6 hour trips coming up

Mark and Debbie Fratto
    1998 Parliament

Here's a picture that shows 2 holes without the locking bolts. If they had bolts in them the fan would be locked.
    SecondGenFanHub.jpg

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

That is the way mine look. Open holes no bolts

Mark and Debbie Fratto
    1998 Parliament

Very odd for it to be stuck locked. Also odd to experiance inflated running temps with it locked in those 2 things dont add up. Did u pull the relay? Did u check the wire lead to be sure is not unfastened lying on something hot and its been melted and shorted?

Reach in deep, over the top, forward of the bracket and feel the wire around toward the engine till u reach where it plugs in at the engine loom. Make sure thats happy.

Call P.A.S.S. see what they say and be sure to mention the inflated running temps too, if u do.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 08-31-2019 at 08:45 AM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines