Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Engine temperature

20190831_140743.jpg

If during assembly u stick the 2 magnetic rings togeather these r rare earth magnets they r very strong.

DO NOT ATTEMPT to install the hub like this. EVER. Seporate them.

If u do not it will be assembled without 3, 1/4 in bolts on the inner ring that really ought to be there. Im pointing to the bottom 2 holes in the photo.

Another clue for proper instalation would be u dont have hardware left over when u r done. Sorry couldnt help that one.

Just for the record it never takes someone who knows what they r doing longer than around 3hr or so, even out in the field, to switch a hub out. about 07 they get a bit more challanging they r in deeper. Then they went to a driveshaft now they have electric fans. If u have this done dont get charged too much. On the 02 chassis (i think) there is slight grinding nessessary on the bracket to fit. Check your service bulletins for your vin if u have such a chassis it will have a bulletin on it.

Ive never made this mistake or ever seen it. astonishing the mistake didnt have a different result in a multitude of ways. Thank goodness for that. Aint these buses somthin.

I think Fratto has got to the bottom of this. Happy to help Fratto. Thank God and Country (and Jamie) for POG

And Fratto im not completly convinced nothing else would have also been done wrong. Approach repair accordingly. I wouldnt take it far in this summers heat like that. Get it over to Prevo. Ya know, I was in Boyd 2 weeks ago. How far is DFW from KC? Around 500. Ill be in KC all next week if prevo cant get u in. Just up the road a piece.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 08-31-2019 at 04:12 PM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

20190831_142122.jpg

How many of u married guys get away with decorating like this? Hmmmmmmm??

Im currently incubating ideas for all the push in brass and old norgrens and caliper slide pins im accumulating. Stay tuned!!
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 08-31-2019 at 03:37 PM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

20190831_171448.jpg

Both magnetic rings

20190831_171535.jpg

stuck togeather. Do not install like this. install 1 at a time.

20190831_171626.jpg

if u do assemble stuck togeathet u can tighten it in place with these outer bolts.

20190831_171610.jpg

Unfortunatly the 3 bolts that hold the first ring in when assembled incorrectly r burried and it is not attatched to the hub. When assembling seperatly and the first ring is fastened there is airspace a very slight gap between the 2 rings. A mistake like this is why its locked up without power it was assembled with both rings stuck to eah other and no way for them to disengauge. Again quite remarkable u can actually go like that if u ask me. For how long, who knows.

Fratto how good r u with tools. I think I can talk u thru it over the phone if yer game. Dont have to take the whole thing out. Unless something else was done wrong. On second thought better not.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 08-31-2019 at 08:11 PM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

20190831_173520.jpg

Nother image showin the backside of the outer ring.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

Ok, so your office rocks! THANKS for the pictures and your help, these are great.

I am good with tools and I would love to do this but unfortunately, I don’t have the time right now and dont want to get part way in and find that there is more to it. So for this time, I am going to Prevost. I have an appt with Jason for Wednesday of this week and will let you know what they find.

Thanks again, you guys and this sight are great.

Mark and Debbie Fratto
    1998 Parliament

So if we have rare earth magnets and electro magnets? Not sure now I understand how this thing is getting two speeds.

Mark and Debbie Fratto
    1998 Parliament

Mark,

The beginning of this video will give you your answer. Eddy current for low speed low speed and spring pressure for high speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlhugkLzjlI

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Fratto just like a hound dog after a rabbit u knew something was there and u didn't quit. Well done, u knew something was not right. Let us know if Prevo ever encountered this before I think this was a very unusual instalation mistake.

If nothing else was done wrong that will take about a half hr to get straight. Worst case is there was friction happening where it shouldnt and u need another hub.

Seems to me just like a fan clutch on a car when its not locked in its not static, the hub its free wheeling on still has it turning. I have also viewed the info on eddy currents but Gill is the electrical yoda not me.

Mark i just realized u have your first name in your signature LOL do u have a preferance??
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 09-01-2019 at 10:56 AM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

Most people call me Fratto ...

Get to pick the bus up from Prevost later this afternoon. They confirmed that the clutch was locked up. They are supposed to leave the old one in the bus so maybe I can learn something.

They recorded temperatures of 195 to 205 during the test ride with the replacement clutch. As long as they were in there, I also had them go back and replace the tensioning bag for the fan belt since it looked hard to get to from the top.

I will let you know if I find anything with the old one after I get it back.

Mark and Debbie Fratto
    1998 Parliament

Buddy that hub was locked because it was installed wrong with 3 bolts missing. I assume it then chewed into something that prevo deemed nessassary enough to pull it. Id prob have done the same thing.

Pull the rings apart on the old one, dont thow away the magnets.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 09-08-2019 at 10:54 AM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens