Thread: A Mechanics problem

Default A Mechanics problem

20180712_111040.jpg

Awful owners. Beem me up Scotty. Where did that palm tree and hammock go?
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    9 Speed Roadranger
    708 243 7871

Wrigley's Double Mint foil wrapped around a cylinder type fuse, I guess is frowned on too by a mechanic??? Y'all take things way too serious..
    Dane & Dana
    Central Florida
    95 Marathon

What's the problem? Isn't that 5 amp fuse wire wrapped 4 times to make a 20 amp fuse ;-)

As dumb as this is how about unprotected 250A+ power sources? I've seen them more than once.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

In a pinch ....I guess this might be done. Unfortunate that it worked so good....we'll leave it.

Question .... Why do we have electric wiring caused fires ?

And yes ...I have seen the Double Mint gum wrap fuse. I've been told Juicy Fruit gum wrapper works better !
    Last edited by BoaterAl; 07-13-2018 at 10:08 AM.
    Al
    2007 Marathon #1075
    H3-45 3/Valid slides
    2010 GMC Arcadia AWD
    3rd Marathon, 1-XL 2-H's

This was a circuit for wipers on a Peterbilt. The posts that go through the cab under the windshield that the arms bolt to r 30yr old almost, and getting froze up. So the fuse was blowing.

Nipplenut does this with the fuse.

So now he cooks the controller and for delay wiper on a 90 pete that's 300 bucks.

When I uncovered the problem and mentioned it the response is "oh I duno take a look"

The posts now were as good as welded in they were so stuck. Only 1 guy driving this truck.

Im thinkin....I duno hu

I freed them up enough to get them to go on a 20 amp fuse, through another switch that he will have to time when he stops because the wipers will not park themselves any longer.

Poor old Pete deserves better. I'll not turn another screw on it. I could really put this truck back right and he's got the recourses but it will have to wait for another owner.

Breaks my heart.

Hang in there old girl your day will come.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 07-13-2018 at 11:52 AM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    9 Speed Roadranger
    708 243 7871

Quote Originally Posted by BoaterAl View Post
    In a pinch ....I guess this might be done. Unfortunate that it worked so good....we'll leave it.!
    Oh No! Surely, you're kidding. This is NEVER acceptable! This reminds me of a call a newer coach owner was having with his paid tech support person. He was told to simply bypass a DC to DC power supply. I wouldn't do it given the obvious difference in wire gauge and this "smart" guy not being able to tell me where the fuse was. Good thing I didn't listen given the problem was a short on the smaller gauge wire side of the converter.

Gil and Durlene

Yes I'am kidding....Mr Beverly Hills.

Here is good example of what careless service people do .....it's not bus related but a WTF moment, for sure.

I have a real sad example of how an installer screwed us, took a short cut, which affected us until a new heating / air conditioning unit was installed 11 YEARS later in our home.

An example where heating and air conditioning techs took a short cut on my furnace / April Air humidifier install in our new home back in 2007.

When my 11 year old furnace / AC continues to act up failing many times to operate correctly, I decide to replace it with new unit.

This was discovered during the change out. My wife complained about how dry the main floor of our house was many times during winter months. I had inspected the April Air workings, replaced filter, replaced water valve. Never in my wildest dream would I think my fresh moist air was never entering the air system.

Photo shows where the original installer took a short cut NEVER cutting hole for the April Air moist air to enter main air duck.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BoaterAl; 07-15-2018 at 12:41 PM.
    Al
    2007 Marathon #1075
    H3-45 3/Valid slides
    2010 GMC Arcadia AWD
    3rd Marathon, 1-XL 2-H's

Al, you do realize they were just trying to maximize air flow, right ;-)

Here's challenge for everyone.

Go to your house battery bank that has enough current to weld steel. Follow each positive wire or cable that is attached to the batteries and see if you can find a fuse or breaker in each of those wires.
    If you found a fuse/breaker, was it near the battery bank or at least in the same compartment?

Many of you will not find any form or circuit protection and those that do many will find that protection in another compartment.

Now you have one answer to why coaches burn.

Gil and Durlene