Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 315 tires new purchase

Default 315 tires new purchase

Hello,

I am looking at replacing my Steer 315 tires on my 1998 XL. Currently my tires look perfect, BUT are 6 years old. I have called TW tire in OKC who I think are top pros and they say the tires to replace mine are are the Michelin X Line Energy Z tires. They said they are the recommended Bus tires and have been available for the last year or so.

Turnkey is approximately 800 dollars per tire installed. Does this seem like a fair price? They do the FCMA program but could not give me a price on that. They said if I purchase the tires then labor would be 70 dollars to install per tire.

Is there anything I need to look for on the old tires from an inside point of view? I would think the other tires would be in similar shape. I need to plan on budgeting for future replacement of the remaining 6 tires.

Thoughts?

Thanks!!

For pricing log into your FMCA account and request pricing. They will also give you the purchase procedure.

It is true that Michelin discontinued the XZA 2 Energy tires. The reviews on the replacement X Line are mixed.

Some will take this opportunity to change their valve stems not knowing when, if ever, they were changed. It's best to make sure the shop has the stems you want. There are so many, they can't stock them all.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Thanks Gil, I am on the FMCA site and the price they are quoting for the XLEZ 315 tire is $745.83 per tire. Plus I would pay 70 to get it installed. T and R tire quoted at the high end 800 per tire installed. I thought the FMCA site would be cheaper? But it seems it is not. Does this make sense to you?

Thanks

I've never found anyone that beat the Michelin Advantage pricing. If you have that's a plus. Make sure the tire quote is equal, both include FET?

BTW, you can probably get $25 or so for your take iffs rather than paying disposal fees. Local trash trucks and local moving trucks can still get a year out of them.

Gil and Durlene

I do plan on keeping the tires as spares for emergency on the road, if after they inspect them and feel they are in good shape.

The previous owner who installed them in 2013 took care to make sure pressure was correct. He said he ran Steer at 110, drive at 95 and tag at 110.

Tires look perfect from the outside, but I want to be proactive and replace the steers for now, hope for the best on drive and tag. I suspect the steers if they do look good on the inside of tire, then the rest should be ok for the next few trips. I do want to change all by the end of 2019. As in 2020 I will be on 7th year.

T and R said FET is included , only local taxes will be extra.. I will ask about the disposal fee being taken off..thanks for the heads up.

I had also noticed the XZA2 ENERGY wasn't listed on the FMCA price list, wasn't sure if up to date (even tho shows recent/current date) or something else. Do you guys know if the Michelin Advantage Program discount is the same across the board - FCMA, Dupree Products etc.? And what are opinions on Goodyear, Bridgestone?

David mine are all dated 2011/2012 but they look perfect. No sidewall cracks whatsoever. I may do what you are doing later this year and replace steers. I've never replaced tires that looked anywhere near this good. If I can locate some 22.5 hub-pilot aluminum Peterbilt logo wheels for a reasonable price, I have a 96 Pete that I'd like to put the coach tires on. It just sits in the barn, but has 24.5's and tires worse than coach does. Will you let me know before you change out/get rid of last two on your coach? If I do the swap I'd buy them as I'll need 10.

Billy & Lisa Gaines
    1996 Marathon XL40

Billy, the FMCA program is the Michelin Advantage program. Others are tapping the same program. I can tell you buying through the FMCA program, which I've done 4 times, couldn't be easier.

Gil and Durlene

Billy, I will let you know how this goes. I plan on having them pull the Drive and tag Tires and inspect as well. I am thinking this will be 70 per tire. I just want to feel I am safe as I use my bus a lot. It has been very confusing for me to know who is correct on tire age. Some are convinced that 5 years is the max. Others 7 years or more.

David,

If your tires are 315s, have been properly inflated their entire life, and have been brought to operating temperature every month or so, there's little reason and less proof a tire needs replacing at 5 years. Keep in mind, Michelin extended their RV tire warranty to 7 years from 5 years. They clearly didn't do so to increase the warranty costs.

365 tires may be another story. These are super singles and their construction requires them to roll more often to stay together.

If someone wants to be conservative, they may elect to change their steer tires at 5 years while extending the change cycle on the remaining tires to 7+ years.

Tires are likely our most critical expendable safety item. As such, more frequent changes may be your prerogative.

My goal is to have my tires come up to operating temperature monthly and strive for 7 years of service. I'll see if I'm successful.

Gil and Durlene

Gil that is great info. Mine are 315 That is basically my plan as of now.

Next Monday I am replacing the Steers and I plan on having the remaining 6 pulled and inspected. I know the previous owner and feel he was very diligent. But since I was not driving them I just want top make sure.

Looking on this site, an inspection on the inside will show any potential issues you can't see on the outside. If all is well I will follow your 7 year plan which would be 2020

I appreciate all the great information on this!!