Thread: What is that switch button?

Default What is that switch button?

Hey Gang, I just noticed a small push in spring loaded switch button under the dash, below the ignition key on our old xl. Nothing in the manuals from Prevost or Marathon, no label either which is odd. No doubt many of you know what that is all about. Thanks in advance for any feedback, solutions.
    Russ and Gwen
    First Coach
    92 Marathon XL 40

Possibly an override switch. Some are on the floor, some a marked dash switch.

Was it identified in the operator's manual?

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Nothing in any manual, on closer examination may be an add on by someone. Trying to post a photo. Thanks for the quick response.
    Russ and Gwen
    First Coach
    92 Marathon XL 40

image.jpegHere we go, it is just below the ignition switch. Has black and red wires , even odder. It almost seems like a DC breaker but I have no idea yet. Guess I had better trace the circuit and see where it leads.
    Russ and Gwen
    First Coach
    92 Marathon XL 40

I think that may be a momentary switch not a breaker.

Is there voltage at it? Is it triggering a solonoid can u here a click when u push it.

Could be a battery bank merge/jump start that's my wild guess
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 06-05-2018 at 04:39 PM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    9 Speed Roadranger
    708 243 7871

Does your horn work on the steering wheel ? If that button / switch went out of service .....a push button was added remotely. Just a WAG
    AL
    Al
    2007 Marathon #1075
    H3-45 3/Valid slides
    2010 GMC Arcadia AWD
    3rd Marathon, 1-XL 2-H's

Definitely an add-on. It either is for something with low current or it controls a relay.

Turn the key on when its quiet and listen for a relay near the dash or driver's bay.

Add on switches are a mystery. I have a dash switch labeled dump valve. It doesn't open the waste tank dump valve or dump coach air. It turns out not to be connected to anything!

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

It looks like the momentary used to reset or program an alarm system or aftermarket keyless entry system.

Thanks gang, always such great feedback from you folks, now I have some suggestions to follow, I will test it today for DC and advise outcome. Just now in wifi service again, we are traveling remote areas in Nothern British Columbia. First real excursion for us. What a great mountain cruiser these coaches are. Can't even imagine what a newer coach would be like to cruise down the road. Can it get better , probably. Might have to upgrade in a couple of years, even though we have this one nearly dialled in. We also had no idea how a Prevost will draw a crowd way out here. Whew!

For those who consider the numbers. Average fuel consumption with Jeep Liberty toad in real mountainous terain, 6.2 mpg. According to the DDEC II. Back to the woods for us.
    Russ and Gwen
    First Coach
    92 Marathon XL 40

Russ...let's get down to the main question. And the button does ?
    Al
    2007 Marathon #1075
    H3-45 3/Valid slides
    2010 GMC Arcadia AWD
    3rd Marathon, 1-XL 2-H's