Thread: testing the tow connector on the coach for electrical

Default testing the tow connector on the coach for electrical

Can someone chime in and let me know how to test the female receptacle on the back of my Marathon to see if I have voltage? I hooked up the Jeep yesterday and the signals will not work, the brake lights either. I am not sure how to first test the receptacle with my digital meter. I need to find out if the tow package on the coach is working first before moving to the Jeep.

There is a tow switch in the engine compartment which is switched to on.

I had the Jeep wired for the tow last week. I may have to take it back but wanted to start at the coach first.

Thanks for any help.

Cal

Most every auto parts store (AutoZone, etc.) will have a trailer tow connector tester.
    test.jpg

The test plugs recommended are a great and easy to use tool.

If it's not working, some Marathons had a relay box or an electrical conversion device that changes dedicated tail lights to combined stop/turn lights.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

1992 Marathon......Can anyone help me with hooking up tow lights on 2002 jeep wrangler? I have located LT/RT/Brake/TM and ground in box over engine.When connected to "3-wire to 2 wire"converter box,nothing comes out of the converter box to connect to plug...I have wired three previous coaches to this jeep with no problems.I am stumped.Thank you in advance,Mike...(503)310-8272

I have a trailer electrical disconnect switch located in the C/S bay just behind the back wheels. Perhaps you have such a switch and it's set to OFF?
    Another ideas is fuses. Is there perhaps a fuse that controls the toad electrical connector? I would read all the fuse labels usually on the inside of the relavent bay doors to see if any fuses in that bay are related to your issue. There are three bay doors on mine which have VDC fuses (under drivers seat, both sides behind tag axel).
    Joe & Diane Hoffman
    Prior coach: 2001 Marathon H3-45
    Sold the coach.
    For details: https://intelopment.wix.com/prevost/