Thread: Heads Up Blue Ox Towbar Owners

Default Heads Up Blue Ox Towbar Owners

Here's a picture of a Blue Ox towbar that had a catastrophic failure at the weld on the part that is attached to the receiver. The towbar is said to be about 18 months old. Blue Ox is said to be willing to reimburse the owner for the towbar and any deductible in exchange for the return of the towbar. It was also reported that Blue Ox has changed their design at the weld point that failed. That's all I know on the subject.

Blue Ox Bar.jpg

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

That's scary. I've got one that is a few years old.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

I think those safety cables that they put on r ridiculously long if something lets loose you'll be in the next County before they that extend out and actually snatch the toad.

I wish I could see the rest of that picture it looks like that thing sitting 90 degrees to the tow vehicle but there's no front end damage to it can't really wrap my brain around that picture.

Dale, poor design or not, I doubt whether that weld got tore out in one swoop. Close daily inspections of your tow bar are going to pick up small cracks in it as they begin. That failure if I had to guess I would say had been coming on for a while and went unchecked.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 05-09-2018 at 07:02 PM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

That picture looks to be the new model Avail so the age is in line hope they have not run into some problems with the new design the older Alpha models seemed to be a bullit proof unit they have been using that double pivot head for many years.
    2005 Parliament XL-II SS
    2007 Avalanche