Thread: Requesting info on locations of components in a Marathon

Default Requesting info on locations of components in a Marathon

Continuing to resolve multiple issues regarding purchase of 1998 Marathon xl, The owners manual provides a good overview of systems but the location of certain components is not given.
    For example I am trying to find out where and what model the isolator that allows my generator batteries to charge. As I am new to this, looking in the engine compartment is a bit overwhelming. Is there any documentation showing component locations? I do have Prevost books, but some of these items I think are designed and installed by Marathon.

Finding where the converter placed items, especially those that might at some point need changing can be a challenge. It's good when you have some time to remove panels from walls and below cabinets to see what lives in those spots. Marathon is certainly not the worse when it comes to hiding components. Most, but not all, TechLink devices are behind closet walls, under the bed, and beside the drop down front TV.

As for how your generator battery is wired, it may or may not be connected to your house battery bank. If your house system is 24V, the connection should be very near the 12V posts of the equalizer. In some cases, Marathon made it easy to trace by colocating the generator battery with the house batteries. Also keep in mind that some Marathon's use a small solar array on the roof to keep the generator battery charged. Frankly, if the DC wiring to the generator is wired most effectively, a supplemental battery charging source isn't really required. Other converters do not supply supplemental charging to the generator battery.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

The Marathon owners manual indicates the gen batteries are charged from the house batteries thru the "isolator". As pointed out, a solar panel is connected to the gen batteries as well. no additional info from that manual tels where the isolator is, where the solar panel controller is etc. The Prevost documentation I have must be 50 lbs of maintenance, parts list etc. I was wondering if any Marathon owners had recieved info regarding component locations- similar the an automotive company repair manual which shown locations.

I think your house batteries are behind the passenger side tag. If so, the equalizer is nearby. If you see the equalizer, I suspect you'll see the isolator connected to the 12V post. Some are on the passenger side ceiling of the engine bay. They are often blue with huge cooling fins.

The other location for house batteries in a Marathon is bay 2 on the passenger side. Here's such a setup and you can see the isolator in the lower right of the picture.

IMG_5188.JPG

Most converters are stingy with their drawings, especially electrical.
    Last edited by Gil_J; 04-10-2018 at 08:28 PM.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion