Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Surge Protectors

Jerry,

Only the Watchdog products checks the coaches neutral. All of them check the incoming neutral. I've never been a fan of the TRC products because of where I live and their limited warranty.

David, the Watchdog is a complete replacement for the other products.

Your coach's reverse polarity light is just an indicator light and offers no protection. FWIW, unless someone just worked on a 50A pedestal the likelihood of reverse polarity is just about zero. A 30A outlet would be much more likely to have reverse polarity.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

This thread has some confusion! My fault. Earlier in the thread the discussion was on the Hughes Autoformer, not the Hughes Watchdog.

I'm using the Watchdog. I'll likely install it in the bay, which they make a model for hardwired installation.

Gil and Durlene

Gil,

Awesome...your video said the surge protector is modular...do they come with a spare? Do you recommend having one in my spare kit to replace as needed?

Thanks for all you do to help guide us on this stuff!!!

The entire unit is covered under warranty for 2 years. After that, the surge suppressor module is $30. I would not keep one in my spares.

Gil and Durlene

Gil, my favorite Miami customer brought this unit to me and asked that we install it in the bay so he didn't have to carry it as it is heavy. I have in the past voiced my dissatisfaction with Surge Guard surge protectors as I have tried them many times over the years and we actually installed them at the factory on Vogues. They were horrible so I have steered away. Well we installed this unit as he keeps the coach at the Miami Airport and their power is terrible along with the folks that work on it as they think the coach can be wired like a 3 wire 240 dryer! The customer has had continuous issues for years. He said he has used this unit for a year and has not had issues with over current or tripped breakers on inverters. This is a 2006 F'lite triple slide. The Surge Guard is designed to plug into the pedestal and the coach plug into it. We bolted it to the wall, removed the shore cord from the 3 pole 50a breaker on the coach and routed to bay beside plumbing bay. The cable was long enough to go into a box where we installed a female 50a receptacle. We made a pigtail with a male 50a plug that plugged into the SG female plug and wired to 3 pole breaker on coach. It seems to work well and can be bypassed easily if it fails. I wll keep this updated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Donnie Myers; 07-22-2019 at 07:12 AM.

Donnie, that appears to be functionally the same as this unit (CLICK HERE). These autoformers make a lot of sense, especially at older parks or typical summer demands on a lot of parks.

Gil and Durlene

I have one of the hardwired Progressive units and it performed great so I removed from our last RV before we sold it. I have not installed it in the 1999 CC yet but it is on the "soon list".

I am curious how many of you are installing them on the incoming AC line and how many are putting on the output of the ATS so that it monitors both the park power and generator power.

I've done both. In hindsight and going forward I would only use the Progressive box or similar on the shore connection. The main reason being the control circuit in the transfer switch would otherwise be left unprotected. Keep in mind most Prevost conversions could not install the device after the transfer switch, if they even have a transfer switch, with the same level of effectiveness. Most conversions were using the dual AC input Trace 4024 inverters that were not fed from a transfer switch.

Although I haven't done so yet, I plan on a single contactor triggered by the generator being in an acceptable voltage range. Most generator issues are going to be voltage related.

Gil and Durlene

Thanks Gil. I installed on the shore power side in the last coach for similar reasons. Your thought about the ATS control circuit seals the deal.