Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Surge Protectors

Default Surge Protectors

This article http://rvtravel.com/great-rv-accesso...tter-issue-67/ says they have improved their technology on surge protectors to detect "lost neutrals" both upstream at the RV pedestal and also downstream internal to the RV. I am not sure if other manufacturers (i.e., PI) now offer this feature, but it sounds like a significant step forward. Maybe someone can shed more light on the subject?
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Great topic to new Prevost owners....
    Here is some free advice for all the new Prevost owners. Buy a surge protector cheap one, expensive one, used one. Second piece of free advice. Plug it in to check the power pole ...before you allow the RV park pole power into your bus.

Had I not followed this simple 1,2,3, step my bus would of still been in Texas hill country. Make a long story short the previous parking RV probably pulled away from pole with the power cord attached to pole. When I plugged in my $300 Progressive surge protector by itself,
    flipped the switch. What happen was the big bang as they say and the end of my first surge protector.

Many convertors build surge protectors into there bus. I would prefer to sacrifice my hand carry surge protector then bet all the protection on bus installed and what other damage might happen to bus.

Pictured is the Progressive I now carry. cost about $100 bucks used, $150 new. Don't travel without one.

Part number SSP 50X Smart Surge Protector 240V/50amp-50

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BoaterAl; 04-01-2018 at 11:12 AM.

Ditto that you should check your shore power connection before use. As Al pointed out, you can do so with most surge protectors. Keep in mind you must NOT plug the bus into these until they indicate it's safe to do so. You're better served with an active power management device that has an internal relay that disconnects power to the coach if there are any faults in voltage while connected. Too many parks suffer brownouts or low voltage situations in the peak of summer air conditioning use. Progressive Industries, TRC (Surge Guard Brand), and now CAMCO have power protection devices.

I'm surprised no one has a plug-in quick tester for a 50A/240V outlets like those that exist for 120V outlets. The testing is easy with a multimeter, but not everyone is comfortable using a multimeter.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

The new feature introduced in TRC's portable unit seems interesting. Depending on how sensitive the detection and fault parameters are, it may not work in coaches with TRACE 4K inverters. One of the features of the Trace units is their ability to plus up the incoming voltage with inverter power. When this occurs, the amount of current carried on neutral will be different than what would be calculated solely based on the AC input at the shore connection. I'll drop them a note and see what they say. I'll also ask them if they intend on doing the same with their fixed mounted units.

An open neutral can be catastrophic. Even worse is an intermittent neutral that typically is worse when the load is the greatest. I chased one of these intermittent failing neutrals one time that was a real challenge. This added detection capability would seem a big plus.

Gil and Durlene

BTW,

Here's a new product that would seem to be well worth the investment. Things I like:
    -- Monitor your real-time power consumption.
    -- Monitor your total power used (no one else does this).
    -- Ability to use Bluetooth to monitor the device from inside your coach (no one else does this).

https://hughesautoformers.com/product/pwd50/
    Last edited by Gil_J; 04-01-2018 at 04:40 PM.

Gil and Durlene

While on the beach in Mexico for a month the park replaced the main transformer. After that we found the voltage going high, from about 128vac to above the 132vac shut off on our TRC portable unit. Using my very best Spanglish I told the park about the high voltage thinking that they simply had the output voltage set too high on the new transformer. They said the whole town was voltage high. No one (other than me) seemed to mind. Our TRC unit would periodically go off for a while and then a few hours later come back on. Inconvenient, but way better than than a damaged coach electrical system. I checked the voltage levels with a RMS meter and the TRC readings were quite accurate.

I suppose the one positive aspect of this situation is that voltage that is a little high is not as bad as having low voltage. High voltage (within reason) is better than high amperage.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Yes, best advice...My brother left and returned in our ol 89 marathon last year and plugged right up prompty smoking stuff as the line had shorted to neutral.... MANY hours later, troubleshooting with him ( not the electronic type) we finally traced the little "Doo hickey" aka Relay and replaced that, along with some wire, a Diode, and an expensive auto transfer switch. I sure hope he learned his lesson... I did :-) don't answer the phone at 10 at night lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Gil_J View Post
    BTW,

Here's a new product that would seem to be well worth the investment. Things I like:
    -- Monitor your real-time power consumption.
    -- Monitor your total power used (no one else does this).
    -- Ability to use Bluetooth to monitor the device from inside your coach (no one else does this).

https://hughesautoformers.com/product/pwd50/
    I too am intrigued about this new model that Hughes has put out. I like the ability to view the info on the iphone. And since My 1 yr old progressive is giving a E10 code ( Send Back to Manfacturer ) I have decided to give it a try. The big brown truck should bring one Friday.

Let us know what you think. BTW, it's not a replacement for your progressive device.

Gil and Durlene