Thread: Direct TV

Default Direct TV

There's a current ad on TV with DirecTV and they want to sell 3 months for 10 bucks a month and in the ad they say no satellite and no receiver box needed.

Anybody want to shed some light on this is this the same old thing they're streaming it and there's buffering involved or have they figured out how to do it without buffering.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

I'm guessing this is for the DirecTV Now service. In a nutshell, here's what this is:

It's an online only DirecTV service and uses a computer, a phone, a tablet or Apple TV and other devices to play similar programming to what you find on the satellite based DirecTV service. When this service was first launched more than a year ago, they had an initial offer of $30 per month for this service. Here's what made it interesting for me. Since AT&T owns DirecTV, if you use an AT&T device to view DirecTV, it's considered "zero data," meaning it does not count against your monthly allocation of data on the device. At the time, I was looking for a TV service to use on the Flxible and found a Samsung 18" tablet at the AT&T store and after doing some digging, found an AT&T 1G data plan (yes, ONE GIG) for $10 per month. Since I use that Samsung device ONLY to for the DirecTV Now service, it basically costs me $40 per month to watch various programs.

After using this service for year, I've found it to be helpful in a variety of situations. If I'm at a campground and want to watch TV at a picnic table, it's great. If I'm on the bus and there's a storm that either blocks the bus's satellite or one that I feel it's best to lower the roof dish, the DirecTV dish (as long as I have an AT&T signal) has worked very well. And, if I'm parked under a tree where the bus's satellite is blocked, the DirecTV Now service still works.

Joe,

You’ll also need a streaming device such as Roku or Apple TV in order to access DirectNow, Hulu, etc.

So has the "buffering" gone away completely or not?
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

Quote Originally Posted by truk4u View Post
    Joe,

You’ll also need a streaming device such as Roku or Apple TV in order to access DirectNow, Hulu, etc.
    That is not necessarily correct. DirecTV Now can operate natively within its own App on iOS (Apple) or Android devices without the need of a secondary box. This means that if you have a iPad or other device, you can watch DirecTV Now anywhere you have a WiFi or cellular signal without any wires.

To answer Joe's initial question, in my experience, as long as the device has two out of four bars of AT&T signal, I haven't experienced buffering issues. YMMV.

Yes Andy, it works on certain mobile devices, I’ve had it on my IPad for months. I assumed Joe was asking about a TV and how to get the service.

That figures I just dropped $1,500 on the Wingard Traveler so I can watch the Velocity Channel and I probably could have got by without it if I just waited about 6 months LOL

We should have a cutting the cord party at an upcoming rally.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

Quote Originally Posted by truk4u View Post
    Joe,

I have a Adapter cable that converts an ipad or iphone to a HDMI cable into TV that works great. With Directv , Netflix , Hulu , etc apps on both. It also has a charging port to connect a iphone / iPad charger into it while you are watching TV to keep your device from running down. Like Andy said “ As long as you have a good signal it works very well “ I think that adapter cable cost about 75.00 at Best Buy about 3 years ago. Kinda pricey for what it is but it is worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by GoneCrazy View Post
    I have a Adapter cable that converts an ipad or iphone to a HDMI cable into TV that works great. With Directv , Netflix , Hulu , etc apps on both. It also has a charging port to connect a iphone / iPad charger into it while you are watching TV to keep your device from running down. Like Andy said “ As long as you have a good signal it works very well “ I think that adapter cable cost about 75.00 at Best Buy about 3 years ago. Kinda pricey for what it is but it is worth it.
    If I ever build a coach, you can bet it will have a simple method of connecting devices such as a phone or tablet tablet directly into the entertainment system without having to jump through a lot of hoops or require custom programming!

Internet based TV only works where you have a good connection to the internet. There's many places were you would be disappointed.

BTW, a strong Wi-Fi signal has no relationship to a good internet connection. A good Wi-Fi signal simply means you can connect to the Wi-Fi base station well.

Also keep in mind that a RV park has no obligation to carry video streaming services over their free Wi-Fi service. They can easily block or throttle back those services. So, make sure you have a great data plan with your carrier.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion