Thread: Baptism by fire!

Default Baptism by fire!

OK, this might be long, but some of you have been there!

Well, today was my first day of troubleshooting! My wife is going to a 4-day dog show 15 miles away from here. We figured it's a great opportunity to try out the Elegant Lady for a few days. Since she will have another lady staying on the coach with her, it was imperative that we have things ready. We've spent the past couple of days loading stuff into the coach and she has been putting the lady's touch on it. She's been having fun!

Last night we detected an issue with the water system, so my marching orders today were to get that water going!

I soon discovered that some electrical issues had cropped up that affected the water monitor. Noticed that voltage was down. Also noticed that the generator would not start. We are supposed to head out in the AM, and now nothing is working!

This is when having a dealer who cares really makes a difference. Olympia walked me through a few things, and I decided to jump the generator. Opened it up, and the problem was obvious. The battery was 3-4 years older than I thought it was. I remembered that i had a new battery in my truck cab that I had for my tractor. Fortunately, it was the same size.

It took a while, but I replaced the battery. Generator still would not start, but I remembered the procedure to manually start the generator, and it fired up. Yayyy!

However, back on the bus, no AC, no lights, nothing. So, another call to Austin. He patiently had me go through several steps, and finally told me it must be the Allen Bradley. Since I had that bay open, I crawled in and followed his instructions. Bingo! The reset worked, and before long, I had AC, lights and hot water.

I still had to text him about several more things, but it looks like we have water, lights, AC, and all the stuff my wife will need for a few days. She will be fine; she ate up all of Austin's training last week, and is pretty good with mechanical stuff.

The previous owner had suggested a short local trip, and I'm glad we're doing this. It's a big step up from our plastic coach, and the learning curve is steep. Before long, I'll even know where the light switches are!!

I feel your pain, but you're fortunate to have Austin on the other side of the phone assisting you during the learning curve period. My only suggestion is that once you get things operating properly, keep a pen and pad handy and take detailed notes of what you're learning as you go along. The goal will be to generate various checklists of things you need to do when you are faced with various scenarios such as a coach start up, arriving at a full hookup location, arriving at a dry camping location, departure procedures, etc. Once you compile the lists, you'll find that arriving/departing at various scenarios will be less stressful and you'll have fewer Oops moments.

Actually, it wasn't too bad. I've started keeping a notepad in my pocket just so I could write things down. My wife is a list maker, and gave me one more list last night. At least we don't have to worry about trying to drive with the hydraulic levelers down! BTW, if you have lists that you like, could you post them or send them to me?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike GAy View Post
    Actually, it wasn't too bad. I've started keeping a notepad in my pocket just so I could write things down. My wife is a list maker, and gave me one more list last night. At least we don't have to worry about trying to drive with the hydraulic levelers down! BTW, if you have lists that you like, could you post them or send them to me?
    My list is a work in progress and I'll note what works for my bus may not work for yours.

Screen Shot 2018-03-07 at 12.41.32 PM.png