Thread: Michelin Tires

Hybrid View

Default Michelin Tires

There was some good information provided by the Michelin representative at the Prevost Expo specific to 365 tires.
    -- All RV tires are now protected by a 7 year warranty, as long as they are less than 10 years old. This includes all tires less than 5 years old that are currently in service. Warranty start date is:
    -- the date of installation, if you can prove when they were installed.
    -- date of purchase for new vehicles.
    -- Born on date if the installation can’t be proven.
    -- A properly stored tire should have no adverse effect on tire life, except the hard line discard rule at 10 years from the DoT born on date. Stored tires need to be laid on their side, not standing up. They must be in an environmentally controlled environment without UV exposure.
    -- Tires that are 5 years old should be inspected annually and regardless of their condition, 10 year old tires should be discarded.
    -- 365 production runs are twice a year with no information provided on how they size the run.
    -- 365 tire is not constructed like the 315 tire. They are constructed like super singles that require a much different build to keep the wide tread flat on the road. This construction technique has an added safety feature. If the tire has tread failure it’s designed to shed the tread while staying inflated. Of course, this can’t help if you experience a blowout.
    -- Michelin does not have visibility into stock levels of tires once they leave the plant and no visibility into how tires are sold to dealers from distributors. This explains why there are times when it’s assumed there are no tires available with two year old tires surfacing just months after they were not available.
    -- Petroleum based tire dressings should be avoided. A good test is to dress a clean tire and after 30+ minutes wipe it with a white rag and see if it sheds any black color. If so, don’t use it.
    -- Wheel position weights are essential for proper inflation.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Oh yea, most important. 190 degrees is entering the danger zone and at 230 degrees things fall apart.

Gil and Durlene

Thanks Gil. Excellent re-cap (pun intended) of the Michelin seminar.

Quote Originally Posted by Gil_J View Post
    Oh yea, most important. 190 degrees is entering the danger zone and at 230 degrees things fall apart.
    OK, I'm assuming you're referring to the tire temperatures. How is that measured? Are sensors built in? (yeah, I'm new!)

Mike,

Other than using an IR gun when you stop, there is little way of knowing your tires' temperature. If you could buy the commercial tire pressure monitoring systems then you could have a good indicator of internal tire temperature, unfortunately those systems are not available after market. Most of the after market systems rely on valve stem mounted sensors with questionable accuracy when it comes to temperature. If you use a TPMS you will get a feel over time of the tire pressure increase that naturally occurs with a rolling tire. Any excess tire pressure over the normal, especially with tires opposite each other on the same axle, should raise your awareness. Even this difference, if only a few pounds, can be attributed to the sunny side of the coach versus the shady side.

I've been reluctant to embrace the valve stem mounted TPMS options. I did cave a year or 2 ago and installed the commercial truck version of the sensors offered by Truck Systems Technologies which are valve stem mounted. I chose them based on reviews and I liked their display better than others. So far they have performed flawlessly, but I still don't like valve stem mounted systems. TST has since introduced an internal banded sensor. After market banded internal sensors have sometimes broke free inside the tire. TST is quick to point out that their band is used in early Corvettes and not an oversized hose clamp. Other manufacturer's after market TPMS support a common data port that allows easy integration into other management displays, like those from Silver Leaf.

Maybe someday the likes of Bendix will make their system available to the retail market.

Gil and Durlene

Mike,
    Tire sensors were not added to Prevost wheels until 2013-2014 as a factory Prevost option. Many owners have added air pressure-heat aftermarket sensors on each wheel with a master information pad mounted near the driver.
    Stories have been posted on how sensors have saved drivers a major problem caught ahead of time while traveling.

Another thing to do and this is only a suggestion and no disrespect is intended.

Pre trip bus inspection done from a printed check list prior to driving. 18 years on the Interstates and I still look at my pre trip check off list of items inside and outside before moving my bus.

AL

If you're a prospective buyer, Prevost's initial factory installed TPMS was during the 2007 production of the X and 2008 in the H. I'm not sure if that system is the same system they installed in later years.

Gil and Durlene

We like and have had pretty good luck the SmartTire by Bendix product. We have tried a handful of different systems but seem to have the best luck with their system. http://www.smartire.com/bus
    --

Kyle Bennett
    Tradewinds Coach & Marine
    www.tradewindscoach.com
    kbennett@tradewindscoach.com

Quote Originally Posted by BoaterAl View Post
    Mike,
    Tire sensors were not added to Prevost wheels until 2013-2014 as a factory Prevost option. Many owners have added air pressure-heat aftermarket sensors on each wheel with a master information pad mounted near the driver.
    AL
    Al, my X3 is a 2012 chassis with a 2014 Marathon house. It has the factory TPMS with temperature and pressure sensors. I keep it on the screen that shows the -/+ pressure of each tire and I'm to understand the readings are compensated for each tire's temperature.

For the checklist, yes, I absolutely agree and spent quite a bit of time putting together extensive lists. At some point I'll do a video on my checklists as I have separate pages for various scenarios such as arriving or departing a full-hookup campground to dry camping. I can't imagine using the bus without having a checklist. I'm still surprised the converters don't supply custom checklists for each coach that leaves the factory. I'll try attaching a page to this post.

Last edited by TheGadgetGuru; 02-15-2018 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Uploading Image

Your info on arriving at campsite..... moving slides and utilities items is well detailed.

Pre-trip inspection is not wordy detailed. It's meant to remind driver to check things that if not addressed could cause problems or damage.

shore power off at pole
    bring in power cable
    sewer /power drop door is double locked (Marathon item)
    confirm roof satellite down
    and so on

My list helps me do the same thing each time before moving bus. Last thing is a 360 around bus checking all bay doors...everytime.

At our Bus Barn in KC with 8 private stalls (diesel pushers only) has experienced four (4) accidents. Had the renter did a 360 walk around in each case the accident would have not happened. Not one of the four has been minor incident.
    AL

AL
    Last edited by BoaterAl; 02-15-2018 at 05:58 PM.