Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accent lighting replacement

Default Accent lighting replacement

Have 2005 Marathon XLii, many of the bulbs in the accent strip lighting throughout the coach have burned out. Does anybody know about replacing the rope lighting? Are they all one unit in each area or is every small run separate? Marathon wants 1500+ to replace, but can't find other option.

thanks
    gary
    Gary & Lee Wood
    05Marathon
    16Wrangler Unlimited

U will need to do your homework on this. I think there is just about as many choices for these as anything I could think of.

If that estimate was for the entire bus that's reasonable to me. That is a finicky job choices excluded and there's usu ally a ton of rope lighting.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    9 Speed Roadranger
    708 243 7871

Those are possibly the hard to find 3/8" rope lights and may be Tivoli brand. Here's an option for 12V 3/8" LED rope lights.
    https://www.1000bulbs.com/category/t...te-rope-light/

They also have 120V and incandescent versions.

It's possible the Marathon price is to convert to LED and change the dimmers to LED compatible dimmers.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Your gonna find out why Marathon wants 1500. You have to pull the build down and some corian off to do it right and next year same thing, burnt out lights. Window sills gotta come out too. There is also a method to how there wired, that;s one of the reasons no one wants to touch it.

Personally if I was keeping my bus I would pull everything and convert to LED strips, it will last a long time. Down side is it would probably be about five grand. It is very, very labor intense.

Later
    bv

Bernie & Deborah
    07 Marathon XLII #1059
    12 Featherlite Stacke
    2019 Marathon X3 #1291
    Coming July 2018

Hey Bernie how have you been. So if Marathon shot you a price of $1,500 to do your whole bus you would probably jump on it?

Original installations used glue that over the years and the heat the glue breaks down and they start hanging and then them little plastic clips that they also use sag and time gets them very brittle and they all break away I wonder if they changed those things with the new lights as well?
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    9 Speed Roadranger
    708 243 7871

Hi Joe,

I'm good, thanks. I see your raising hell in Florida again.

If Marathon quoted me 1500 for the whole bus I would give them a 300 dollar tip.

Later
    bv

Bernie & Deborah
    07 Marathon XLII #1059
    12 Featherlite Stacke
    2019 Marathon X3 #1291
    Coming July 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Camper View Post
    Hey Bernie how have you been. So if Marathon shot you a price of $1,500 to do your whole bus you would probably jump on it?

Original installations used glue that over the years and the heat the glue breaks down and they start hanging and then them little plastic clips that they also use sag and time gets them very brittle and they all break away I wonder if they changed those things with the new lights as well?
    Automotive grade 3M double sided mounting tape will hold them in place. I had 50 broken clips to remove in My Salon ceiling. And used the tape to hold the Tivoli’s in place. They have been that way for a year and are still holding good. My Wife helped Me do it. And She said I am going try some of this tape on that bathroom mirror handle that fell off. I told her not to waste Her time, that it would never work ! Guess what , It is still there , And it takes a lot of pressure to open that medicine cabinet. This tape has the red backing and is gray in color. The kind that is on bugshields and vent shades for the windows.
    My Wife said " You have Gone Crazy " When I purchased the Coach. Now She says , " DONT SELL THE BUS"
    ​Email; libertycoach322@gmail.com

Safe Travels,
    Rocky

Thanks for the imput, I don' think the 1500 included the ceiling, only the salon, front dinnette area. The cost to LED was about 3200.
    Gary & Lee Wood
    05Marathon
    16Wrangler Unlimited

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Camper View Post

That is one of my MUST DO items and if Marathon will do mine for $1500 as Bernie says Im good with even a fat tip!!! Mine doesn't even have it around the windows, only down the sills and in the ceiling. As a matter of fact I am calling them next week to see if that pricing is consistent with most coaches. LED's would be nice but the incandescent accent doesn't have the heat transfer that the spots do and honestly I think the 12 volt is the best considering costs.
    Dane & Dana
    Central Florida
    95 Marathon

I think for them to be able to throw out a quote for a job like that in advance that tells me two things they have done it before they're familiar with what they're doing and they're going to do it way quicker and correctly, and the first time. Unlike somebody else who hasn't IE like if it were my own coach and I was trying to do it myself. If somebody asked me to do that I probably wouldn't take the job unless they were persistant and then that would have to be time-and-materials I would be clueless. It would probably take me twice as long as Marathon.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    9 Speed Roadranger
    708 243 7871

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast