Thread: Genset Questions

Default Genset Questions

Vantare, 2000 (99 Shell) with the Powertech 17.5 with the ISUZU yes, not the yanmar or other engines.... bit of an odd ball so I see... In any event... Cold starts are painful... So I suspect Glow Plug Relay or Glow Plugs... before I go a troubleshooting, anyone have a manual for this one? checked the site and jut generic manuals... no ISUZU I could fine.... the glow plugs are easy enough to locate... and at a hundred bucks or so quick enough to change.... but I suspect it is more likely a relay issue as it just won't start below 30 degrees, so if one or 2 plugs was out I'd probably still get a fire one 2nd or 3rd time....this genset has been run hot a bunch of times ( not by me, I fixed it) but before me, so when it's cold i get a BUNCH of white smoke but it clears up.... suspect rings.... so any manual on the ISUZU 4LE and is it a model 1 or 2? anyone?

SO where would that pesky little glow plug relay be? the local start box, with the main on/off/start switches is a gray box about 10x10 or so and located in the bay immediately to the right... I have not yet opened it ( It was Negative 3 degrees today lol) and likely in there? or in the main box attached to the genset head which is MUCH larger and has a breaker or 2 on it? any help appreciated....

now off to find the schematics to see which relays I'm changing for the fan... Ordered 12V and 24V so I have both, and will just change all them to be safe...

Found this test procedure:
    4-2 Glow Plugs-Isuzu 4LE1
    1 Disconnect the wiring and buss bar from the
    glow plugs.
    2 Connect the leads from an ohmmeter between
    each glow plug terminal and ground.
    Result: The resistance should be
    approximately 1 ohm.
    Result: The resistance is 0 ohm or greater
    than 1 ohm. The glow plug is faulty.