Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New member seeking advice

Default New member seeking advice

My wife Tammy and I purchased a 2000 Featherlite Vantare back in May 17. We love it but I am having a problem with tag axle chain length an would love and welcome any advice.

What is it that u do not think is correct?
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

Adding to Joe Camper's question....
    My first thinking is .....is your concern tag axle is not completely raised off the ground ?
    AL

When coach is at ride height chain is tight the brake chamber that lifts tag and airbag seem to be fighting each other as a matter of fact rod in brake chamber has broken

We have no idea where "Cheneville" is located.
    Getting a brake chamber replaced can be handled without going directly to Prevost. That would also get someone to look at the linkage supporting the tag lift as their might be another problem here....just saying
    Most heavy duty truck repair shops can help you with this problem I believe.
    AL

Cheneyville is in central Louisiana

Okay you say the brake chamber the push rod and the clevis is broken on the brake chamber. But really that's not a brake chamber that's a number 36 service diaphragm that's being used as a lift chamber. I think I might know what's wrong with you. The post that the leaver rotates on. The lever that has the chain on one side and the pushrod off the lift chamber on the other side. that lever is stuck and that's why the lift chamber push rod is broken off and you don't have any slack on the chain that lever stuck on its post. That lever has a brass bushing on it where the grease fitting is. When it hasn't been greased in a long time what will happen is the brass bushing will stick to the shaft and then the bushing will turn a bit away inside the hole it's pressed into and when it does the hole that the grease is supposed to go through to get to the shaft it gets blocked. So when somebody frees that thing up for you, takes it apart and freeze it up be sure that they drill, remove the grease fitting and redrill the hole because the hole is it lined up anymore because the brass bushing has spun. See if it'll take grease it probably won't take Grease.

Don't ever take your bus to a truck service center unless you absolutely sure they work on Prevo and they work on them frequently. Also you might look in a service manual and it'll tell you just how much slack and inches you should be having in that chain just to make sure if you find that that lever isn't stuck.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 01-18-2018 at 06:58 AM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

Thanks Joe Lever moves just fine I don't have access to service manual

Here's a link to the service manual: https://techpub.prevostcar.com/en/do...nuals_operator

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

U mentioned that the rod is broken. Well, if the lever is not stuck something else had to brake that rod. Even if the chain length is incorrect u have another problem.

If the clevis pin is frozen in the clevis that could also have possibly caused the rod to bend and break.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens