Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What Tires???????

Jim,

I have Toyo's on my 2000 H3 and am very happy with ride. Probably worth getting a price on them.

Just make sure you add Equal.

Mike

matsprt Guest

Default Tires

I should probably stay out of this but can't resist. I currently have about 1500 tires on the road. I just bought another 88 to re-tire 11 trailers. I bought cheap chinese take out brand. I have been running them for over a year on our equipment and have seen no real difference in them over other name brands.

However as has been noted in trucking we burn the rubber off long before we die of old age. My CC has Toyo's and I would replace with Toyo's all things being equal. I am not a doughboy fan. In the name brands I have run them all and would prefer Bridgestone, Toyo's, Yokomama's and then ???. I have found none to shine significantly over the others in the long run. I think Jon's practice of checking tire pressure and visual inspections will catch most issues before they cost you big time. On duals I like running the crossfire system. The BIGGEST killer of duals is mismatched pressure which equals heat which equals catastrophic failure, poor wear patterns, poor fuel mileage, etc.

Good luck on whatever you do. And keep checking them. I think that is issue #1.

Michael

My one bus does not qualify as an acceptable test, but the Chinese tires have a nice ride. I should point out that as tires age the ride suffers, so I was not surprised when I pulled the Michelins off and found the ride improved with the new tires. I would have the same improvement no matter what new tires I used.

Hi Jon. I have been reading you articles a lot on the POG. It's (all ) very informative. Thank you.
    i have been admiring Prevost coaches for 40 years. Never owned one in fact I've never owned any MH and only been camping 2 times on the peace river in central Florida. Having said that I just joined POG 20 minutes ago and am getting a (new to me) 1992 Prevost American Coach inc, (now defunct company) inspected so I can pull the trigger. I have driven a Previst my friend owns and man am I excited to pick mine up 3000 miles away. I have emerged myself in your articles about inspection, care, maintenance ect. and other info on the subject of ownership. I probably can't afford what I'm about to purchase but I got to do it now cause I'm not getting any younger and life is (1) and short. When I pick up the coach I'm headed directly to a tire shop to get 8 new ones as the ones on the coach are 10-possibly 12 years old although the have no cracking, spider or dry rot. I respect your advise and would like some direction on this issue.
    Where in Washington state (Seattle area) do you know of. I think there is a Phelps tire outfit out there, I also read on FMCA members get a good deal with Michelin. Bottom line is, I can't drive further than Seattle without getting a set and I don't want to be hosed in a far way place with limited choices.
    Thanks again for your past info. Hope to meet you someplace.

Juan. Fatchino226@gmail.com

Some aren't fans of orphaned coaches. Don't fear the orphans. In many cases, maybe even all cases, there are numerous individuals and companies that provide as much support as converters that are still in business.

The bigger concern is component, system, and subsystem obsolescence. The other concern is how open the converter was or is with sharing information, like wiring diagrams.

Be aware that some recommend service and component changes at unrealistically aggressive intervals, like tires and batteries at 5 year intervals. If money is no object, spend away. Personally, I leverage manufactures' schedules and limit aggressive schedules to safety items.
    Last edited by Gil_J; 08-09-2015 at 06:38 AM.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Juan,

As Gil said, there are many good Prevosts built by now defunct companies. That is normally not a problem since most every system can be worked on by any good Prevost shop, and in most cases, by any individual owner that chooses to do his own work.

FMCA is definitely the way to go for new Michelins.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Would somebody be so kind as to advise me how to check the date codes on Michelin?
    Bill & Linda Dator
    2003 Prevost Country Coach
    2012 Grand Cherokee

Bill,

I am pretty sure the date is on the inside of the tire. It will show the year and the week of manufacture. Something like "3515" for week 35. Sorry I am not at my bus or I would take a picture.
    Last edited by dale farley; 08-14-2015 at 01:01 AM.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Only 1 side of the tire small oval usually preceded by letters dot, with 4 digits branded in it . First 2 digits week of the year second 2 digits year

Thanks, I will take a look
    Bill & Linda Dator
    2003 Prevost Country Coach
    2012 Grand Cherokee