Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What Tires???????

Default What Tires???????

I have always used Michelin, and just replaced my steers. When I return from TX I am replacing my drives because they have aged out.

The question is are the Michelins which are now quoted at $614 (unmounted) twice as good as five rib DICO at $295? It is improbable I will wear either of them out, and since the drive axle is the easiest on tires I'm trying to find the downside to saving $1200.

Don't be shy. Tell me of your experience or facts. Except for making me feel warm and toasty I cannot think of another reason to justify the Michelins.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Jon years back I quit putting Mich. and Bridge. on the steers primarily because I got aggrivated having to remount them 2 or 3 times, every time, because of a smimmy that didn't previously exzist.

The off brands last just as long for a fraction of the cost and almost never have balance trouble.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Jon, Never heard of dico? My tire guy says the local charter co's. are using Kumho 315-80 $365 installed. He'll get um next day.

The tire guy gave me more info. They are Dynatrak tires, made in China under the name Double Coin.

I'm going to chase down Kumbo. Any other ideas?

Yep, stick with Mich

Hey Truk, I'm trying to save a little money here.

Actually a lot of money. At one time the savings in cost between brand M, and the cheap one was the price of the tire. I bought brand M many moons ago for about $300 a tire. The were 12R22.5 but now the price of Michelin far exceeds anything else.

Petervs Guest

Jon,
    I would rather drive on 10 year old Michelin tires than new Chinese copy junk cheapo tires.

I am surprised you have bought into this crazy business of replacing perfectly good tires after x number of years in the first place. I have never seen any technical evidence to support the need. It is a great marketing ploy on the part of manufacturers though because they get to sell more tires, and it does tend to reduce their liability exposure I suppose. I contend that if you buy the right tire for the load, keep them properly inflated, and do not park them in direct sun all the time, then the life is not limited to 5 or 7 years, or even 10.

Sure, there have been plenty of plastic coaches with wheels and tires underrated and overloaded that have had failures. But caused by age alone? Does it depend on where the tires are used and stored maybe a little? Do they live longer in a garage in Idaho say than parked outside in Yuma?

Do you replace your airplane tires based on age?

If you are really concerned, just replace the steering tires, a failure in any other position would be merely an inconvenience at worst. Save the money to buy more diesel.

My $0.02

Peter vS
    94 Marathon XLV

Jon, www.ohtsu.com Japanese in this country since 1970,s

JIM

Peter,

I have always garaged my coach so when I replace the tires I know they have had very little exposure to sun. I do not know prior history.

I posted the Michelin position on this issue about age, and to your point, I also have never seen any data to prove or disprove their recommendations. A while back I did some reading on the internet (which according to JPJ is not real) and without being capable of separating fact from fiction I was to understand truck tires are formulated for a relatively short life, but high miles and several retreads. There are other properties the manufacturers look for when formulating the compounds. I believe in fact the compounds as manufactured for truck tires retain their resistance to failure by the constant flexing of driving which releases chemicals that keep them pliable. Not driving on them often is worse for them according to my understanding.

Aircraft tires use formulations for their specific purposes. Since most aircraft do not spend their life hangared, the formulations are for long life, but they do not necessarily have the wear characteristics a truck tire does. That makes sense because I think the last time I checked I was getting about 600 or so landings on a set of 8 and 10 ply tires. That is perhaps 1000 miles. When the Michelin aircraft tires were first introduced they were made with completely unadorned sidewalls and they bragged it was because anything that breaks the surface such as lettering or a sidewall decoration is a potential place for cracking.

I don't care that the tires are made offshore. Michelins are made in various locations so we aren't pumping up the local economy. I do want the tires to roll five years with no failures and at that point I am happy. We have a number of POG members running other than Michelin and I would like to know their experiences. Most bus companies run other than Michelin and I'll be the drivers do not care as much about their tires as I do.

My steers will always be Michelin, but the drives are the safest place for tires of lesser quality. I would have to have two blowouts on the four drive tires to equal my cost of going with Michelin and I would need three blowouts before I was losing money.

Default Michelin Tires or NOT

WOW, I was surprised to see so much talk about bus tires from you guys?

I thought EVERYONE used Michelins? Guess not.

I think everyone agrees, that if you can do something safely, and have no adverse affect on driving, steering, mileage/gallon, then SAVING MONEY is always a good thing.

But I guess I would still be affaid to put No Name tires on a $300K bus. Am I wrong?

Gary S