Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2001 Marathon heating issue

Still on my heating issues and now another problem showed its ugly face.

This heating issue has me almost throwing in the towel. spent 6 hours today trying to find where the issue is. Anyway, checking the lines in the Wabasto bay which on the Marathon conversion it is the last bay in front of the radiator on the drivers side. I am not sure if this is a problem or not but I found a coolant line that has a bypass loop in it going back somewhere to the engine compartment. The bypass line is hot and the main line going back toward the engine is hot. But going forward it is cold on the side marked by an arrow. This is the weirdest thing. Is there some thing special about this area? Unless this is some sort of check valve it doesn't make sense. All lines going forward that I can reach and touch from the hot water bay are cold.

Marathon coolant line in Wabasto bay 1-6-18.jpg

Air lock issue on the main entry door. the top lock mechanism will not engage or move at all. The main latch works but is sluggish. Air pressure is up to about 80psi. I assuming both latches are tied together. Does anyone have any ideas as to what is going on here?

Thanks Cal

The cold side can only be cold if there is restriction on that line. I'm still of the opinion that there is a physical valve or electrically valve that is closed.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Angry Heat exchanger

Has anyone had any experience with this heat exchanger model in my Marathon "Specific Climate Systems" out of business for several years. I can get hot fluid to the bleed valve which I assume is on the inbound side. I have literally drained several gallons of hot coolant through the bleed valve without getting any hot fluid through the outbound port. I took the heat exchanger out of the coach and ran water through the entire unit. It did not appear clogged. In this coach the first stop for the hot coolant is this heat exchanger which loops through it and heads to the front of the coach.

If the problem is air in the exchanger how can it be removed? What I am doing now is not working.

The main solenoid valve was not working even with a new coil so I gutted the valve, Now I have hot coolant going up to the first heat exchanger.

There must be someone that has experienced the same issues. 2 months of trying to solve this is maddening.

Cal

SCS did the OTR air Country Coach used. I forget the model of heat exchanger.

You might have to resort to process of elimination. Here's what I'd do.

Disconnect the supply and return at the Webasto for the problem loop. Adapt a garden hose to the supply and extend the return to the ground. Physically bypass the suspect components one at a time. Directly power any flow control devices and turn on the hose. When the problem component has been bypassed, the water will flow out of return line.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

On liberties and I know you have a marathon but on liberties the valve for the engine Loop has to be only one and a half turns open from closed which is almost nothing. I never gave it much thought as to the reason why they have you do that but I wonder if it's to create more flow going forward and restrict the flow actually circulating through the engine block I don't know I just a guess you might try that on yours see what happens if it gives you more flow forward.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    9 Speed Roadranger
    708 243 7871

Joe, I have 2 valves back by the engine accessible through the rear engine compartment doors. These are ball valves. Which one would you suggest I try restricting? Your thought on this makes some sense. I will try this if we can figure out which valve to restrict.

Cal

Cal, On my 97 Marathon webasto, I have a normally closed valve going to the front heat exchanger. On the return I have a normally open valve coming back to the webasto. I also have a normally closed valve next to the normally open valve going to the engine loop. After gutting the normally closed valve going to the front heat exchanger, I had heat on one side in the front exchanger with the same pounding and gurgling you have. We were at Tradewinds in Deland and they opened the switch for the normally closed valve going to the engine loop and found that we had circulation now and the webasto worked fine. So, therefore, we know now that the normally open valve recirculating back to the webasto is broke and closed. So there is no circulation and that's why it will not go past your first heat exchanger. That normally open valve cannot be replaced because they are not made anymore. I found out from Marathon parts in Oregon that the valve was not made and the technicians are gutting that valve when that problem occurs. Hopefully you have the same valve system we do. We are heading back to Tradewinds tomorrow to have that valve gutted also. Bruce
    1997 Marathon
    2013 Traverse

You two guys if you don't know how to put pictures up here on the website you two guys should get each other's phone number and exchange some pictures cuz it's kind of tough to visualize what you're talking about Bruce

I had a early 90s 8 V over-the-road AC bus I couldn't get heat up front on the chassis drivers heater core. What it was where the two Guillotine valves over in the rear compartment driver side Forward of the radiator, those two big Guillotine valves with the round red knobs on the top we had them open but the stem broke off at the guillotine and the guillotine remain closed but the valve was turned all the way out. That was a royal pain in the ass to figure out what was going on there.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 01-25-2018 at 10:25 AM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    9 Speed Roadranger
    708 243 7871

Default Wabasto heating issues

Bruce, I shot 2 photos today. One is the gutted solenoid valve above the Wabasto and the other are the solenoid valves that I have not worked on. They are located right behind the Wabasto unit. Did you gut any of these to get your unit working?

Let me know. Cal
    Solonoid valve in Wabastco compartment.jpg2 solonoids behind the Wabastco.jpg

Cal, went to Tradewinds again this morning, technicians gutted the normally open valve, the one that returns to the expansion tank. The normally closed valve we left alone and that runs to the engine heat loop. Everything runs great. No pics as our set up is different than yours.
    1997 Marathon
    2013 Traverse

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast