Thread: Generator Start problems

Default Generator Start problems

Greetings:

I have a 2006 Marathon XL and am having issues starting the generator. I was on the road and the gen wouldn't start. It acted like the battery was dead. I got someone to "jump" me and the gen started right up. Twice more I had the same issue until I got home. I took the battery out and had it load tested. It tested good. Replaced the battery and now I can't even get it started by "jumping" it. Any suggestions? Starter? Battery? Electrical?

Thanks in advance.

John Emmett
    Aberdeen SD
    John Emmett NØMHz
    Aberdeen, SD
    2006 Marathon

John,

Are you trying to start it from the generator panel? If so, there's little between the battery and generator besides the cutoff switch installed by Marathon. Make sure the negative connections on the the battery and generator are good. We often forget to check the negative connections.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Hi Gill. I doesn't seem to make any difference if I try to start the gen from the generator panel or from inside the bus. I get a code of "CC 1" which from the manual tells me that it is cranking for the first of three cycles. After about 10 sec the panel shows a code of "OC". I have looked and checked all the connections that I can reach/find. I am beginning to think that the starter might be locked up as the gen only buzzes/hums before the "OC" occurs.

John
    John Emmett NØMHz
    Aberdeen, SD
    2006 Marathon

John,

If the battery and connections are good, it could also be the starter solenoid. Make sure the connections, both positive and negative, are good first. If you can access the starter, you can try directly applying power to the starter, not the solenoid, with a heavy gauge cable. A jumper cable can be a good choice. If the starter turns over the engine, the problem is solenoid or connection.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Update on my gen start issue. It turns out that it was a starter relay in the generator.

Thanks for the help with this issue.

John Emmett
    John Emmett NØMHz
    Aberdeen, SD
    2006 Marathon