Thread: Weak Link? or over current.... the Stock 300A Isolator failed to the house batteries

Default Weak Link? or over current.... the Stock 300A Isolator failed to the house batteries

Noticed on the way back from Sante Fe the House Batteries were no longer charging under way. I suspect this is from the new alternator I installed (450A) model vs the stock 270A... Only one side of the isolator is open ( the house battery side) looks like maybe Eaton bought Sure Power... IN any event, I cannot find any specs on this unit other than basic specs... it says 300A so I know I probably over powered the input... but my question is how many amps is each leg rated for? this will be controlled no doubt by the internal diode ratings, but I can't seem to find if each leg is rated at 300A or if like most isolator, each leg is rated at less than input amp rating...

Anyone aware of a 400A-500A unit? been googling but not seeing anything that looks reliable for current ratings continuous usage, as going down the road it could easily pull 300+ amps on the inverters powering stuff...

thanks! please feel free to chime in... Maybe it was just a weak link? and I over powered the house side, which I can easily breaker to limit the current headed down that line.... the cable seems ample size to handle these loads....

Ken,

If you want to exceed 250A install 2 isolators and wire each individually to the house bank. 250A is the practical limit of 4/0 cable, which is the largest you can install. A better question might be, do you really need more than 250A?

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion