Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First time Prevost buyer here, going to inspect and pickup the coach this Monday

I don't know which coach you are looking at, but I'll tell you that $169K for even the newest XL model is at the very high end of retail. I know there aren't a lot of 40-footers for sale. Send me a message our email with the listing and I'll give you some feedback. A really nice XL can get had for well under $150K.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Thank you all for the advice and pointers. I went up on Monday to check out the coach. After 4 hours of inspection time and riding as a passenger on a test drive, I ended up buying it and drove it all the way back Monday evening. I hope I wasn't blinded by the bling, but it really did look in good condition, no leaks that I could find, just a little surface rust in a couple of spots on the chassis, really light. I really didn't intend to drive it at night on my first day but with all those miles logged on that Wanderlodge, this Prevost was such a pleasure to drive I just kept going. Actually didn't want to stop. It's such an effortless drive. I learned quickly that you have to keep a watch on the speed as I crept up past 70 a few times without even realizing it. I really like driving it and yes, I was smiling most of the drive. After years of looking from the sidelines and thinking about it, it felt good to finally pull the trigger and move into one.

The owner did a lot of work and maintenance on this coach during 2013, 2014 and 2015, all documented. He also passed on a cache of spares including replacement belts for everything on the coach replacement hose couplings, replacement airbag belt tensioners, replacement relays etc. a lot of spare parts. Also a Prevost and Liberty owners manual and a Prevost parts manual and Prevost service manual. There was a real pride of ownership and it showed in how he cared for the coach while he had it. This was his baby and it felt like he really didn't want to see it go. It's not perfect, but how many really are at 20 years. So far, the only known issues are cosmetic like the clear coat on the roof and top edges and a couple of minor scratches. The TV's are LED, but they are the size of standard computer monitors so I will probably do something with that. Seems simple enough so I will do that one myself.

The coach runs well, it is very clean inside and out, and I haven't hit anything yet that is not working except, several bulbs on the dash gauges are not working so that first night driving I used the red reading light to illuminate the dash so I could keep a watch on temps and monitor my speed. Also haven't tried the leveling system yet. It's set to road. It holds air and stays level. I've been parked for about 24 hours now and the upper gauge is reading at about 112psi and the lower gauge at about 116psi. While running they were right at 120psi. The previous owner seemed unsure of the leveling system and never used it. He didn't even want me to try it and now, I find myself afraid to try it lest something go wrong. I will probably head up towards Oregon in a couple of weeks and wait till I stop by Marathon before trying that system, just in case something is off, I can correct it on the spot.

Then there is the automatic ZipDee awning. After purchase he warned me that if I put it out, it might not come back in without messing with it. I will probably change the hardware bringing it back to standard. They always work.

The only other potential issue is that front IFS. I have to call Prevocar as after I expressed concern with this before even seeing the coach the seller called me and stated he had all the tie rods changed out. I see on invoices that were left with the coach that Prevocar recommended that work, but it states right on the work order that the owner declined stating he would defer to a later date. I don't see any invoices for that later date. The coach drives and handles great so hopefully that work was actually done.

I am glad I went with the later model XL with IFS. It's longer that the straight axle wanderlodge I had, but turns better and is more maneuverable in a parking lot. And again, that ride. I see why people love these coaches. It's such a relaxed, comfortable drive. It will be easy to log the miles on this coach. Now that I have driven one, no way I could go back to any other motorhome.

The coach has a generator start in three areas, the front dash, the main center console, and in the bedroom, but the previous owner insisted that I only start the generator from the front dash switch. Again, not sure why. This is another one I will wait till I am at Marathon to get that grill removed and drawers installed before checking just in case something is wrong.

Although I was told the Crusair work fine, it was 98 degrees here today and I set all three at 72 degrees on the SMX controller to test. It could barely hit 78 in any zone and sometime during the day, the front zone shut down on it's own. I also notice a strange gurgling sound coming from the front and rear return while they were running. So though they are working and 80 degrees felt a lot better than 98, I would guess they need service and a recharge.

It has bus air, but doesn't seem to freeze one out as I was told bus air would do even running on high. It's just enough to keep it from getting hot inside the coach while driving.

One of the immediate changes I will be making to the coach is to remove that outside line refrigerator, electric Jenn Air grill entertainment set installed in the second bay back on the passenger side. If anyone is looking for a setup like that, let me know. I need that space for a set of storage drawers. I will also be removing the Heart Freedom inverters and the three Lifeline 8D batteries at the end of November. Batteries seem to work just fine. I dry camped last night running a few lights, charging phones and computer, and powering a large residential Whirlpool refrigerator for about 12 hours before I started up the generator this afternoon to run the Cruisair. The batteries were still holding fine running the inverter. The owner was worried the batteries my not be good because it sat for a while, with only periodic generator runs to charge the batteries. I will also be removing that Direct TV dish up top so again, if anyone is looking for one of these. . .
    I do not know the value on these items so will consider reasonable offers.

Overall, I am very happy with the coach and really glad I chose to buy a used Prevost over a new fiberglass coach. And, did I say, these things are amazing to drive. I see some serious miles being added to this coach in short order. Can't wait to start the adventure.

Gil,

After I get through with the initial service and fluids change at Prevocar (it's due) and see how much more I need to put into the coach as startup costs I will let you know about some LED changes. Specifically, that beautiful set of tail lights you did. Very nice. Keeping my fingers crossed that everything is as the previous owner stated and there are no big surprises coming up. I will, where I can, change out interior and exterior bulbs to LED if it's a direct replacement for the bulb. Not sure if this is something to be concerned about but the previous owner, on hearing I was going to change out bulbs, stated I should only go through Liberty for the LEDs as there may be compatibility issues. In my mind a 12V halogen swapped with a 12V LED should not cause any issues unless you swapped a non dimmable LED into a space where a dimmer is setup with halogen bulbs. Is there something I am missing with the way Liberty does their bulbs to prevent changing them out to LED? I definitely want to replace all the halogen with LED. I know it's not huge on the amperage, but it all adds up and these coaches have a lot of bulbs.

Thanks again for the input. It helped me in checking the coach and looking for potential problems, but there really is a lot. I spent the entire afternoon today reading and learning. I am on a crash course on the systems on the coach, there is a lot to learn.

Jon,
    Congratulations, You are hooked. Nothing like owning a Prevost ! As another member and I discussed not long ago. They can become an addiction ! Is it a 12 Volt or a 24 Volt Coach ? Post some pictures when You get a chance ? If You get Your OTR air operating properly. It will get cold enough to form condensation on Your windshield in 95 degree weather. And have to turn Your wipers on to see the road. Does the Jake brake work ? The seller not wanting You to operate the Leveleling system, Throws a red flag to Me. I hope it all checks out fine for You. How does the generator bay foam look ?
    I would like to see a picture of the outside refridgerator and get the dimensions ? I have thought about putting a fridge overtop of My Gennaire grill. And putting a larger flat screen in the front bay. TV directly above a grill , Not a good idea IMO.......
    If You have a Combo washer and dryer ? They are frustrating at best. You can put a mini stack unit in or remove the combo unit and gain a lot of storage space.
    Remember; AUX COMPRESSOR MAKES WATER.......And DONT DRINK THE KOOL-AID.......Looking forward to seeing Your Solar/Li setup !

BSafe,
    Rocky

Congratulations on the new to you coach and I hope you have many trouble-free miles!

If I can make a recommendations, I believe that Gil is in the Western USA at the moment and possibly you can meetup with him to have him take a look at your coach. He has a great trained eye and may spot some things that could make your life easier. I'll add that I'm NOT on commission, but I had a pleasurable experience in having him spot things on my coach that may have otherwise gone unnoticed.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Camper View Post
    Attachment 14586

I'm at the track this week, lots of haulers to use for example. This first photo is date code 03 looks like a very new tire. I don't need to find this guy and question him this is a 14 year old tire and I know his stuff's been parked inside. I've pulled tires off of stuff half as old as the one on the top picture that looks worse than the one in the bottom picture.

Attachment 14587

Here is an 06. It looks twice as old as it is. Both tire Michilan. Here's a rig that gets parked outside.

If u r storing outside your stuff is deteriorating quicker than u can use it up.

If u r storing inside u have the option to stretch the envilope some.

IMHO if your store. Outside or even if your stored inside but your seasonal and you go down South for two or three months a year those tire covers are worth their weight in gold but that just protects the tires all that other rubber stuff down there sees the same symptoms.

Best used coach you can buy is one from a guy who's already had two or three and he's getting another and he has had it inside, that's going to be the best bus you can get.

I could have done this thread using photos of airbags or brake lines it would all be the same the buses that are inside bags that are 10 and 15 years old are still mint I've seen it more than once I'm not saying to run them to that point I'm just sharing for a comparative sake.

That's why service records are so important too cuz you could be looking at a 95 or a 96 and take a good look at that chassis and it might look really really good still, and if it's a bus that's been sitting inside with no history u just don't know by looking at it. You got to take it apart to find out.

Thank God for tire codes.
    Thanks Joe for the insight and the Pictures !

Jon,

Congrats!

Yes there can be compatibility issues with some LEDs and some dimmers. Sometimes the fix is as easy as installing a load resistor or replacing the factory dimmers.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Congrats Uhaneola,

I'm also upgraded to a Prevost after 10 years of Wanderlodge ownership. I had a 2002 LXi. For most of those 10 years I tried to turn my Wanderlodge into a Prevost. I fine tuned and R&R-ed just about every chassis component in an effort to attain that Prevost driving experience. Only after I bought my H3 did I realize how badly I failed! LOL! Wishing you many happy adventures and memories. These are fine machines!

Rocky,

Yeah, I am already hooked. Moved from Cloverdale to Santa Rosa today so I could get a 50A hookup. I am going to head south soon to do an initial service with Prevocar and let them check out the coach for any issues it may have and get the OTR serviced. May go ahead and replace the airbags at that time depending on their recommendation. From there it's going to be back north to Oregon, 1st to Marathon to add the storage drawers, remove the direct TV antenna and maybe add a fantastic fan in the living room and then to AM solar for the solar install.

It's a 12V coach and the Victron system going in is 12V.

The generator bay foam is due for a change. It's not bad, but it's just beginning to get that powder residue if you rub the surface. I think that one I will do myself. Was thinking to give this product a try: http://www.supersoundproofingsales.c...2D42730%2DPSA/

Not sure how to upload photos here so I created an album in my profile.

The combo washer is coming out and I am gong to put drawers in it's place. If I wasn't going to work from the road, the coach already has more storage than I need.

Thanks,
    Jon

Gil,

Thank you!

Regarding the LED's, there are four sections of halogen lights that are dimmable, forward ceiling lights and aft ceiling lights with two what looks like small rotary dimmer switches at the breaker panel in the kitchen and then port and starboard in the living room with the same type of rotary dimmer in the switch box next to the sofa. It may be as simple as switching out those dimmer switches and then installing LED's in place of the halogens. I'll know more when I open the panel and take a look at the type of dimmer used. Then of course, there are the whole slew of exterior lights. I don't want to change the actual fixtures, I do like the look, so hopefully that will just be a bulb swap.

David,

Thanks!

Looks like I made the right decision. I considered going into a newer Wanderlodge as there are some very reasonable prices out there on some nice coaches but I stopped myself and went for what I really wanted this time. Really glad I did.

Jon