Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time Prevost buyer here, going to inspect and pickup the coach this Monday

Default First time Prevost buyer here, going to inspect and pickup the coach this Monday

Hello all, I'm Jon. I've been watching and looking at Prevost conversions for about 3 years now. I have become very interested in doing a few years full time in an RV, maybe permanently. I first jumped in last year with a 1985 Bluebird Wanderlodge. Spent 8 months living full time in that one and traveling. Went all the way down to Playa del Carmen via TX and then back along the Gulf of California into AZ. After that, I sold the Bluebird, bought a smaller RV (Itasca Navion) and headed back home to Santa Rosa intending to RV on the weekends and go back to work. The Nation gave me an idea of what and how the mass produced coaches were being made.

After 6 months back at home, the want to go full time just continued to grow so I sold my home and made a deal on a 1998 Liberty XL 40. I go to inspect and pickup the bus this Monday.

When I purchased the Bluebird, I knew nothing about RV's or bus conversions. I purchased a Wanderlodge that needed much work to make it even safe to drive down the road. All four rear air bags were shot, all shocks were worn out, and it had air leaks everywhere. I spend the first several months of ownership fixing many of the issues. The seller and the broker representing the seller told me the bus was in great condition. The broker hadn't seen the bus in person. I believed them and ended up regretting it and going way over my budget at that time to get a bus that was safe to travel in.

Now that I have been through that experience, I do not want to have a repeat. The owner of the Liberty coach I am going to look at has been telling me everything is excellent condition on this coach. The broker representing the seller, like the bluebird broker, hasn't actually seen the bus in person. It's low mileage for it's age at under 56,000 which I am told isn't always a good thing. I pulled a vin check on the bus and I can track the title record back as far as August 2005 when it was registered as a Michigan Motorhome with 13,420 miles, from there it went to North Carolina last registered in Sept 2006 with 28,125 miles. The next registration was in January of 2014 in California where it has been to this date.

Although the owner has stressed how amazing the condition of this coach is, in the last conversation things started to come out, he disclosed something about scratches in the paint, in one area through the clear coat, and the roof clear coat needing to be redone as it is all peeling. This may all be normal for a 20 year old bus and it is supposed to be Prevost original paint. One of the things a dealer to me to check was the leveling system but when I asked about the leveling system he stated he never used it so has no idea if it works. I also now know that it has been sitting for the last year. He states he starts it from time to time, but hasn't pulled it out of the storage lot for the last year. It had new tires and batteries in 2014, probably January.

The coach fits exactly what I am looking for, a late model XL 40' with Cruisair and OTR air. The 40' is key to me as one of my favorite places is the coast line from Sonoma north into OR and WA but nothing over 40' is allowed on those roads. From everything I have seen, the price is about $20K more than other coaches of this vintage but I accounted that to the "excellent condition" and low mileage and I believe worth it if nothing turns up wrong with the coach. I really do want this to be the coach, love the exterior paint colors, the interior design etc, but am leery of repeating my experience with the Bluebird. I am using this forum as a guide and the Prevost Community forum for things to look for before purchasing. After purchase I will be taking the coach over to Marathon in Oregon to add some storage drawers in a couple of bays so I can work from the road and a bench cover for the toilet so that if I decide to go with something like a Biolet 65 in the future it will keep the bathroom looking sharp. From there it will go to AM solar in Oregon to do a full solar setup. The solar setup is one of the reasons I wanted Cruisair so there would be plenty of room up top for the solar panels. This will add some weight, but the Victron Lion batteries will reduce some weight over the AGM.

Anyway, long post for an introduction. Any things that owners here can point out that I should be checking would be appreciated. Even better, if there is someone local to the Placerville, CA area that has time on Monday and has the required experience to do a PDI on a vehicle like this I would be willing to hire someone to help me check the coach out. It's a lot of money and I want it to be a good experience, not another 6 months of expensive repairs on top of the purchase price.

Looking forward to many years of fun and Prevost ownership.

Answered my own question about paint clear coat. To be expected on any coach that wasn't always stored inside. I'll have to check with the solar installer to see what the high bond tape and adhesive sticks to best before exploring refinish options. This coach will probably be fine. Just doing what I would guess is the normal pre purchase process for a first time Used Prevost buyer trying to make sure they get a good coach that's been taken care of. I'm hooked on that XL bus chassis, it's what first drew me to the Prevost motor coach. Now that I've learned more about Prevost, I couldn't think of any other coach I would prefer to call my home on the road.

Things to look at on a Liberty of that era. Based on My limited experience with My 96 Liberty 40'XL

1) Generator bay foam sound deadening insulation. If it has not been replaced , It is getting close to being aged out. If You can rub Your hand across the foam and get little particles falling off. Then it needs replaced. Debris from it will ruin the generator windings if it goes too long in that condition.
    2) Amana Refridgerator, If it is original it is going to need to be replaced soon.
    3) webasto heater / Water heater. If they are not run and maintained regularly , It will need attention.
    4) Pneumatic systems on chassis and auxiliary air. 4A) Have the Norgren valves ever been replaced ? When ? They get problematic and stick or leak with a lot of age on them. 4B) Does it have DOT fittings ? 4C) does it hold air in the Primary and secondary tanks for a long period of time ? There are 2 gauges on the dash for them. 4D) Does it lean overnight from air leaking out of one side or the other ? 4E) The auxiliary air compressors are notorious for creating moisture. Has the auxiliary system been upgraded and or maintained ? A lot of little things work off of the air system. Drivers seat , sliding floor , Bathroom pocket doors, Air actuated dump valve, Gray water by-pass valve. Generator air bags , Belt tensioning air bags, entrance door lock. And might have an air lift bed.You should check them all for operation.4E) Tag Lift ? 4F) Level-Low system. Check that all controls will work in Manual mode. Allowing You to raise and lower the front. And the right and left rear independently. Check the auto level function. And the ride heighth position. Do this after the two air gauges are up to cut out pressure. Mine is set at 125 PSI
    4G) have the air bags and brake chambers ever been changed ? Probably not with the low miles. I think if memory serves Me correctly , The owners that have had multiple coach's over the years recommend that the air bags life is 10 Years, And the brake chambers some have said 5 year intervals ? They might go much longer than that ? Stopping is important ! Does the Jake Brake WORK ? Or does it have a Trans retarder , Does it work ? The pneumatic system on the Prevost is very extensive. Someone here that knows all about them could tell You 20 more things to check. My knowledge is very limited on it for sure. I am however studying and trying to learn the basics at least. 4H) ask the current owner if he has ever drained the 4 air holding tanks underneath ? Wet tank , Primary , Secondary and Auxillary ? There is an order that they need to be drained. There is an article in the archives about it. The pneumatic system could turn into a novel. Ride height valves, check valves , multi port valves , Protection valves Etc......
    5) Do the fresh water and waste holding tank gauges work , and are they accurate ? They can be very troublesome and expensive to repair. Kinda important when spending a lot of time in the coach as You are talking about doing.
    6) Fresh water 12V pump and 110V water heater. If there has ever been any leaks in that bay there might be rust around the bottom of the WH. $1500.00 for a new water heater. It is usally tied into the webasto and a engine loop that will heat water when the main engine is running. It would give a regular household plumber a migraine. A new Graco water pump like is in mine cost Me $2,500.00 if You want the same direct replacement.
    7) Most Prevost's coach's of this age will have condensation between the panes of glass that are stationary in the entrance door and drivers side. Paid Prevost 800.00 to replace My drivers side. A Year later it is doing the same thing. Some have had good glass shops place single panes of safety glass to fix the problem. Still have to do mine.
    8) Original headlights are Dim and something all XL owners end up wanting to upgrade. Also on My list.
    9) Things that are popular upgrades are LED Lights throughout interior. And LED marker lights and tail lights and docking lights.
    10) if the tires have a date code in 2014. The safe date to replace them will be 2019. That would just give You 2 years out of a 5 year tire.
    11) since You are going with Li and solar panels. I assume You will be replacing the inverters as well. Most likely has Heart interface. That are not true sign wave. If You get Your coach setup with Solar and Li. I hope You will share Your experience with the members. If the heart inverters are good. You can sell them to other members. Or Donate them to a member who needs them. Thats what I asked to be done with Mine. Help a brother in Need right ? It will come back to You.
    12) Maintenance records on engine and chassis are very comforting and desireable to have.
    13) If You do end up purchasing the coach. Prevost will give You all the history that they have on the maintenance of the coach. That has been done in their facilities. If the current owner does not have them. He can get the info from them. That includes all the work done by previous owners in any Prevost shop. They pull it by serial # . And they are more than happy to set You up an account and work on Your coach. And send You on Your way. They email You a bill later. This keeps owners from having a heart attack in their office or making a scene I guess.
    14) Roof coating ? Might need re-coated unless it has been stored indoors its entire life. If there are small spots that the clear coat is lifting or flaking. It has been out in the weather somewhere during its life. There is a lot to learn about them , and a lot to check out really good before purchasing. You are wise to try and hire one of the experienced coach owners to help You do a PDI. If You cannot find anyone , and the owner will allow it. I would request to spend several days staying in the coach and using the systems before purchase.
    15) TV upgrades to LED flat panels.
    16) Toilet work ? Can cost 3K to replace one in a Liberty.

Hopefully a more experienced and knowledgeable owner will chime in and help You. I know there are several things to look for that I have missed. I have spent 45K on mine this year. And still have several things I need to do. And lots of things to learn. But I love the ole Gal !
    There is loads and loads of information on both sites that will help potential owners of these elegant beasts. Search the archives and wade thru all the BS , There is loads of great information available to You. Prevost's are the safest RV conversion on the road. Liberty is a High Quality conversion. Warning ; You will get asked often.... Are there any singers on the Bus ? Who's on the Bus ? I just got to where I tell them " Sorry Sir I am not allowed to tell You "
    There is a mighty fine looking 96 XL Liberty on San Antonio Craig's list. Look at it and all the upgrades He has done. It will give You something to go by.
    Apologies for the punctuation errors.
    Good Luck,
    BSafe
    Last edited by GoneCrazy; 09-23-2017 at 08:38 PM.

Rocky,

Thank you for the thorough reply. I just searched and found the PDI inspection sheet on these forums. I'll use that and your suggestions to help me through the inspection. In conversation, the owner seems like a real stand up guy. Selling the coach as he's not using it and has taken up an interest in boats. He has had the coach worked on at Marathon, and all service and recalls done at PrevoCar in Mira Loma. Sounds like it is currently due for a service though. I am sure he has the documentation for the work he did, but he has no real information on the history of the coach pre 2014.

I read a document on these forums regarding that air leveling system. Seems a bit complicated but not overwhelming. Many valves that could cause various problems but the article gives clear direction to the possible causes of most suspension problems. I could easily see someone just picking level spots and not worrying about it. I did that in my Bluebird because the hydraulic leveling system was not functional. I do not recall anything about him talking about replacing any of the valves, the brakes, or doing anything with the air system so my guess is, it's all original. I will have to do some research on the cost of these type of maintenance items plus the coming cost of new tires and new airbags in the next couple of years to see how it all budgets out. I believe I discussed this with the owner and the airbags are all original. I do know what an airbag that needs to be replaced looks like so that should be an easy inspection. I think there should be enough of it visible if the coach is raised all the way up.

Not sure if the owner would be willing to let me stay in the coach to inspect it. Would be nice, but he has it in a storage facility, outdoor covered, but there is no electrical hookup. There is a KOA down the road so that may be a good spot to head to check out the coach, have access to services etc. No luck so far finding a service shop with someone in the area that can inspect it for me. I figure I may have 3-4 hours to check out the coach and it will be time to buy and head back to Sonoma County.

I think the coach is a fair deal, but that could go south fast if there are enough issues that are only discovered after purchase. For now, I'll keep reading and studying on my crash learning course before purchase.

For the solar, I am looking to go all Victron including the inverters, with auto switching for shore power and generator. That is a big part of the startup costs of this home on the road project but I think it will be well worth it. I will be sure to update here when that install is moving forward.

Jon

Jon,

Everything should be checked for proper operation. This alone can take a long time to perform. If you can get the coach to Prevost, I highly recommend having them inspect the chassis.

You should expect to replace components or even some systems on a 20 year old coach. The biggest challenge will be finding like our similar replacement items. This is generally not that big of a deal. If this coach has an Allen Bradley control system, repairs or replacement can be big deal.

A close inspection of the waste water tank is important. Many of these were made of aluminum and in almost every case will leak. This could result in a need to rebuild the plumbing bay and replace the tank. BTW, many are putting in stainless steel replacement tanks. Personally. I'd install welded plastic tanks that almost everyone else uses.

The suspension components need to be inspected. You will likely have destroyed grease boots. This is common and not something to be alarmed about.

Liberty has never been to generous with sharing electrical diagrams. They are good about answering questions, which is helpful, but sometimes diagrams would be most helpful.

If the generator does not have a start/stop switch on the generator I highly recommend reinstalling the generator self protection system.

Be careful of the information you find. There are some that mislead owners on recommended parts replacement schedules. Of course if money is no object then replacing serviceable parts is okay, but wasteful. Stemco, which bought Goodyear air bags, will tell you air bags don't have a replacement schedule. 10 year old suspension bags are almost always serviceable. Tires are probably the most critical safety item, so I can't fault anyone doing an early replacement of tires. Personally, I would 7 years from my tires. This assumes the tires have always been cared for and inflated properly. House batteries can have a life of 3 years to 10 years based on use and environment. Pole to pole owners that are properly charging AGM batteries should expect 7 years use unless subjected to a high heat environment.

Best of luck on your purchase. When you're ready to upgrade your exterior lighting to LEDs, let me know.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

BTW, good choice going with Victron. They make very good products.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

When it comes to chassis and rubber components, If I had found two identical bus of the mid-90s Vintage and they were both exactly the same with same miles but one was stored inside and the other one wasn't I'd give an extra ten Grand, maybe more for that one that's stored inside all other things equal.

And all u storin indoors and keeping them, use that to your maintenence advantage, it's a HUGE difference on the rubber.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

20170924_094151.jpg

I'm at the track this week, lots of haulers to use for example. This first photo is date code 03 looks like a very new tire. I don't need to find this guy and question him this is a 14 year old tire and I know his stuff's been parked inside. I've pulled tires off of stuff half as old as the one on the top picture that looks worse than the one in the bottom picture.

20170924_094247.jpg

Here is an 06. It looks twice as old as it is. Both tire Michilan. Here's a rig that gets parked outside.

If u r storing outside your stuff is deteriorating quicker than u can use it up.

If u r storing inside u have the option to stretch the envilope some.

IMHO if your store. Outside or even if your stored inside but your seasonal and you go down South for two or three months a year those tire covers are worth their weight in gold but that just protects the tires all that other rubber stuff down there sees the same symptoms.

Best used coach you can buy is one from a guy who's already had two or three and he's getting another and he has had it inside, that's going to be the best bus you can get.

I could have done this thread using photos of airbags or brake lines it would all be the same the buses that are inside bags that are 10 and 15 years old are still mint I've seen it more than once I'm not saying to run them to that point I'm just sharing for a comparative sake.

That's why service records are so important too cuz you could be looking at a 95 or a 96 and take a good look at that chassis and it might look really really good still, and if it's a bus that's been sitting inside with no history u just don't know by looking at it. You got to take it apart to find out.

Thank God for tire codes.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 09-24-2017 at 10:21 AM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

Thanks for all the great info.
    Joe,
    I get the stored inside deal. Rubber doesn't mix well with UV and the elements. As I budgeted this out, I planned for $10,000 a year in maintenance costs. I will be outside all the time so will most likely be looking at every 5 years on tires, 10 years on airbags and other rubber exposed to the elements.
    I could wait years to find that perfect coach so I focus on what is available.
    There are two coaches out there that fit my requirements. One has my favorite interior design wood with silver hardware, the other has my least favorite, white with gold hardware. One, a 98, has IFS. The other is a couple of years older with solid axel. Both are stored outside, covered. The 96 seems to be more up on maintenance with a lot if the things mentioned already done including bags and brakes, the 98 just the tires and batteries in 2014 and the recalls dealt with at Prevocar. The 96 seems better maintained but, to live in a coach full time with those color combinations. . . The 96 is $9k lower in price. The 98 has IFS.

Gil,
    More good points, I'll be sure to check the tanks, most likely they are original from Liberty.

I think a full Victron system will work well. Seems to be a well engineered product.

Full LED will be a must. Usually I go through and replace all bulbs with LED as one of my first tasks.

This whole conversation has me wondering about my initial purchase budget (not including solar) of $170k plus $10k for the woops, didn't see that coming items. Say I need to redo most of the air system due to age because they are all original, put new air bags, redo the brakes, new shocks change out an a aluminum waste tank etc. Its all 20 years old.
    How much more will I be putting in up front? Is $169K just to much for a coach with all of that deferred maintenance waiting for me even with the low mileage? Tires are good for a couple of years but then they will be up next.

All I can contribute to this thread is that six months ago I was in your shoes and purchased my first Prevost. Yes, it can be overwhelming. So, I took the easy route and used the inspection services of our friendly Admin, Gil Johnson. He not only took the time to go through every nook and cranny performing a PDI prior to purchase, he took the time afterwards to make sure I had a level of comfort operating the various devices. I'm still learning as I go along, but reflecting on my experience, not only am I glad I had Gil watching my back, if I was to purchase another bus, he would be my first call. No matter the vintage, a Prevost is an expensive purchase and whether or not it's Gil or another qualified inspector, I highly recommend getting a professional PDI.

Also, I'm producing an ongoing Prevost for Newbies series and while my coach is a different vintage than what you're shopping for, if I don't bore you to tears, you may find the first two installments useful. Here's Part 1: