Thread: Just starting our search

Default Just starting our search

Hello everyone, I will try to be brief. My wife and I just started our search and were lucky enough to come across Panterra, who is a sponsor on this site. They are a 3 hour drive away as we are on the other side of Michigan. Mike was kind enough to go in on Saturday when they are normally closed, even though I told him we were a ways off from purchasing. We went to especially look at a 2002 Newell, but we did look at about 10 coaches. I figured the only way to afford a Prevost for us was no slide model. Maybe I was wrong, they have a 2001 H3-45 single slide that my Wife just flipped over. I never thought they were something we would consider because I really like the XL exterior. I guess my question is to folks that own them, pro and con. Livability, driving, etc. Also any input on how the Angola conversions hold up. Thanks in advance for your help! MIKE

Hey Mike I like the XL too. I get it first hand from very reliable sources that the H is a LOT easier to keep clean and it's got a lot more room and it's quite a bit easier to get at things when you need to get at things in the Bays.

I think the Angola's were real quality conversions they're not real complicated and I like their subtle Interiors on many of them.

Take the advice of the folks in POG who have had both XLs and Hs.

make sure all the heaters are working good up there in Michigan where you are. A lot of these buses the heaters never even get used and that could be bad if it's a webasto or Aqua Hot.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 09-18-2017 at 05:54 PM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

Mike, we also live in Michigan and we bought our coach from Panterra. I would not hesitate to buy from them again if they had a coach that I wanted. Very easy to work with.

Mike,

Be patient. If this isn't the right coach, the right one will show up. If you can get to Florida in Feb for the largest Prevost conversion show anywhere, you really should. This can be the single best stop for seeing the different conversions and Prevost models. It's helpful, but not necessary, to have a knowledgeable person be part of your tour. Although the sales teams are all very knowledgeable, they wake up everyday wanting to sell their inventory. I walked a couple through several coaches at the show a few years ago. Although they were at a similar buying stage as you, they left the show buying a coach.

Angola conversions were pretty simple. Simple has a huge benefit in early 2000 and earlier coaches when it comes to support. The Angola you looked at doesn't have a Prevost slide. I only mention this as one point of reference to things that the converters change. Some converters still install non Prevost slides, so I'm not saying this is necessarily bad. Personally, I like the bedroom layout in the Angola. Of course, every thing about these coaches are personal. Make sure you love it our fully understand the cost of any changes you want. They can be expensive.

When you find that perfect coach, make sure that both the Prevost side and converter side are inspected.

I bought my current coach from Panterra. As good and as convenient as they are, there are other good dealers. You'll need to go where the coach is given how unique each coach is. Or maybe you have found your perfect coach.

Feel free to message me if you'd like.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Thank you for the good information and offers of help on this mission. I do hope to make use of the vast amount of knowledge available on this site. Mike

Mike,

Come back often with your questions. You can also search past postings. There's a lot to learn, so do so in bite sized portions. Try to focus on a single subsystem at a time and you'll discover the complexity is no longer overwhelming.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

If u stumbled apon a bus that's close to home your wife likes it and it's in your price range u might be closer than u think.

Some r searching for years and still not got to that point.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Camper View Post
    Hey Mike I like the XL too. I get it first hand from very reliable sources that the H is a LOT easier to keep clean and it's got a lot more room and it's quite a bit easier to get at things when you need to get at things in the Bays.
    One of the benefits of being vertically challenged is that it's pretty easy to access the bays in an X model!

Quote Originally Posted by Gil_J View Post
    Mike,
    Try to focus on a single subsystem at a time and you'll discover the complexity is no longer overwhelming.
    Words of wisdom from the Master!

Without trying do to a self-serving plug, check out the Prevost for Newbies Part 1 and 2 where Gil walks though every bay and delivers some helpful info on the various systems. While the systems vary from converter to converter, it will give you an overall look at the components.

Part One looks at the passenger side bays:

Part Two goes through the driver's side bays, or what I like to call the working side of the coach: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QoQdcK8miI&t=2043s

Well believe it our not I found your videos about 6 months ago on you tube when I was thinking maybe a Newell was the way to go. After comparing them side by side I find my first impression is the Prevost has a little more quality. The first time I touched the leather seats I thought there was no comparison. Back to more studying online. Thanks again, Mike