Thread: Speedo, cruise inop/intermittent on a 1987 XL

Default Speedo, cruise inop/intermittent on a 1987 XL

Hello there,

I am new to the group. We recently purchased a 1987 XL 40' built by Custom Coach. She is in fantastic condition, in fact I was looking at newer models but was blown away by this rig. We put nearly 15k miles on her this summer with little issue but now that she's been sitting for a couple weeks, we are having some problems. One issue we had was occasionally when driving, the bus would shut off and recycle through the test start up mode. The bus would still run but the dash electrics, cruise control, etc. would flash off momentarily while it cycled through the test start up procedure; a bit unnerving to say the least. I was told to check the relays in the back compartment above the engine which i did, jiggling and resetting. One relay had a broken casing but I glued it and it seemed to work fine. Having tried to find the same relays (Magnacraft 88CPX 167) to no avail, I swapped a few around. Now the rig runs but the odometer no longer shows the "test" nor the mileage and the speedometer has stopped working as has the cruise control (I assume that is related?). I have found a source for the Omron MK2P-1 replacement relays and have some on order.

I realize this is a lot to digest but was wondering if any of this sounds familiar. I need to deal with this asap because we are taking the rig around the south this fall. She is going into the shop next week but they only work on the engine and drive train.

Thanks

Hey Gern welcome to the asylum. I had an 84 but I still can't help you because 87 you've got like a d deck one on that or something, mine was mechanical.

You're going to be hard-pressed to get information on that vintage from Members there's not a whole lot of members with an old bus like that I would suggest you call Prevo P.A.S.S.

Have your VIN number ready when you call and let them know what's going on. You'll get a human being on the Line 24/7 365 days a year and eventually after they screen you you'll get a regional service manager that will definitely be able to help you with that question and if not they'll find out and call you back.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 09-16-2017 at 05:55 AM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines