Thread: A Newbies Point Of View: Why A Prevost Is The Ultimate Tool For Hurricane Evacuation

Default A Newbies Point Of View: Why A Prevost Is The Ultimate Tool For Hurricane Evacuation

As you know, I'm a newbie to the motorhome world and went a bit wild by buying both a vintage Flxible Starliner and a 2014 Marathon in the past year. Living in a hurricane zone and just old enough to have experienced too many hurricane drills, one of my motivations in getting into motorhomes was to have a house on wheels that allowed me all the comforts of home and being able to be mobile when a hurricane rears its ugly head.

I'm in the midst of a trip from northern Michigan and was planning on taking the bus to Marathon FL for service. While I had planned a two-night dry camping stay in my hometown of Nashville to visit Friends and Family, this stay is being extended until I figure out when's the right time to head to San Antonio, FL. Yeah, Irma keeps shifting and as soon as I make reservations, I'm having second thoughts about which route to take. My goal is to start that route after the roads thin from the traffic that will surely come from other evacuees returning to the Sunshine State.

In the meantime, I thought I would document some of what I've learned so far and penned a story about using a motorhome as a hurricane evacuation tool on my website. If you take the time to read it, please feel free to return to this thread to share your wisdom as you surely have more experience than I do!

Here's the link: http://www.gadgetguru.com/hurricane-rv/

P.S. I'm traveling in the Marathon and the Flx is in a storage warehouse in South Florida. So, let's all think positive thoughts that she's still there when the storm passes. In reality, Lucy the Dog is with me and my Family is close by in Nashville. I feel fortunate that the things I care about are with me and everything else is just stuff. Okay, the Flx is Nice Stuff!

Excellent article Andy.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Thanks Dale! Since I'm dry camped in Nashville at the moment, I'm attempting to figure out my strategy for returning to Florida. My original plan was to drop the bus off at Marathon in San Antonio, FL for service, but with the eye of the storm now forecast to go directly over that area, I have a feeling it could be a few weeks until it's safe to head to that part of the State.

The common sense side of my brain is telling me to enjoy Nashville for a few more days and then make the trek to the Florida Southeast coast mid-week. I want to avoid getting stuck in the traffic of the evacuees returning to Florida. I'll add that Nashville is forecast to get some remnants of the storm, but I think a Prevost can handle those conditions. I'll just relocate the bus away from the trees in my nice shaded spot!

IMG_8413.jpg

Excellent.Thanks.
    Philip and Katie Parker
    2000 Marathon