Thread: Changed our Cooktop

Hybrid View

Default Changed our Cooktop

As many know, my wife loves to cook and , yes, I love to eat. Our coach's appliances certainly weren't intended for a cook. Our only oven was a microwave! I changed that out with a full size microwave/convection shortly after taking delivery. This was not a simple exchange as it required significant changes to the the upper cabinet that was designed for a shelf mounted unit. The cooktop was a 120V unit and there's no 2 burner 120V unit made that can quickly heat water.

As many have already done, I changed out our standard cooktop with an induction unit. While many have been successful with the unit commonly available on eBay, it just would not work in our countertop. I ended up finding a good deal on a 15" Wolf induction unit. It too would not be a drop in replacement, but its dimensions were far closer to what was in the coach. Front to back, this unit is shorter which resulted in a big gap on the front and back. So, I had a piece of #4 stainless steel cut to form a base for the new cooktop. I must say, it turned out quite good. I'll know the level of success later this week when the chef gets to try it out.

20170826_122135-1.jpg 20170825_163616-1.jpg

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Sealy, Texas (50 miles west of Houston on I-10)

Nice job Gil, now Durlene can be off to buy new cook ware.

Pete & EJ Petree
    2001 Prevost Featherlite Vantare
    2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4x4
    Sealy, Texas

Would never know you added the trim, looks great.

Looks great ! Be sure to post feedback from the cook after She uses it.

Looks really nice, wife would like to do same thing. Were the actual electrical changes a big deal? i heard they take lots of power to run.

Nice Job Gil!

Let me know if you want to do the same to my coach!

Gil,

I replaced the Gagenau Unit in mine over a year ago with a similiar Wolf/SubZero Induction cooktop with two different size burners. You will love this unit. The neighbor lady can boil a bunny in no time flat. Sorry, I just watched that old movie with Michael Douglas last night. Swapped out my Calphalon pans for a couple of ScanPan non stick and a combo All-clad or two. Easy to clean as well as long as you wipe it off right after use.

Hey Gil, the stovetop looks great, what’s the Part number and when can you install it , ha ha, ok just the part number
    thanks Ed
    Eddie
    2005 Marathon

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion