Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tachometer

Default Tachometer

Started it up this morning after boondocking on generator last night because a poor 30 amp breaker that I was plugged into popped last night. That was all that was available. When I started up this morning there is no response on tach, swithched on high idle, tach still on zero. Checked breakers in front drivers electrical bay, none popped. Any thoughts?

Maybe a shot in the dark. Does it look like the needle has went beyond zero and may be stuck? Yep, it has happened.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

No, sitting right on peg.
    Just talked to Prevost in Dallas. I am a paraplegic and am having hand controls installed on the coach. It appears that they must have bumped the glass gauge panel in their installation which I am told can screw things up. I am supposed to get into the test dash gauge mode. They said the whole gauge panel may need to be replaced.

When u say the glass gauge panel what r u referring to.

I see u have a Liberty and when someone refers to glass and dash that is usually a Country coach thing.

The test dash gauge mode.... did u do that or r u asking?

The pro driver does this in this sequence.

First-system diognostic, then-cluster self test, then-gauge test and that tach should come to life along with all the rest. Hope this helps some.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 08-17-2017 at 04:43 PM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

If you have the Prevost-installed dash panel cluster, the speedo and tach are a "module", and the associated smaller guages on each side of the speedo and tach are made up of several segments that can be replaced individually. You do have to disassemble the main section to access the individual modules, but in almost no case would the entire dash need to be replaced. It was Dixson's modular cluster system. Both the speedo and tach get their information from the J1587 diagnostic data link information from the engine sensors.
    Ben Cummings
    U.S.A. Luxury Coaches, LLC
    Clearwater, FL

Gil,
    My tachometer appears to be stuck below 28 on the right side. Any suggestions on how to correct. Thanks.
    Mike & Gina with Ruby & Rosie
    2006 Featherlite H3-45
    2019 Ram 1500 Limited
    Starkville, MS

Sometimes the needle will get stuck with the plexi holding it. After driving over some bumpy roads it generally frees itself.

Gil and Durlene

I live in Mississippi, so rough roads are more common than not. About 10 minutes into my last trip the tachometer started working.
    Mike & Gina with Ruby & Rosie
    2006 Featherlite H3-45
    2019 Ram 1500 Limited
    Starkville, MS

Just replaces quite a few light bulbs in my dash and had to disassemble quite a bit of it to get to the bulbs. I read somewhere (I think it was in the Prevost manual) that you should never lay the gauges flat for more than a few minutes because the oil in them that stablizes the needles will dislodge and may cause the gauge to malfuntion
    Chuck & Katrina
    2000 Featherlite
    H3-45 Double slide
    2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel

Chuck, I'd find that surprising. I've had the same problem with my tach. The Detroit diagnostics computer will swing the needle to fast during its test. The needle, in my case, got stuck between the dash's plexi cover and meter housing. After a few bumps in the road, it freed itself.

Gil and Durlene