Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tire Safety

Yup. I had the smaller 12 22.5 and only had to put 100psi in the steers.

I often wondered about the conversions with the 315 80s that need 110 psi cold for the given steer weight and just how high those pressures go in the heat of the day...... gotta be north of 125 and that's a stiff tire.

If u r one who fits this description keep those speeds down in the heat for sure.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Camper View Post
    I have a question for those with tire pressure sensors with temp sensing in on them along with pressure.

What kind of temp increases and just what is the temp at 70mph when it's 90 + outside?
    Hi Joe,

I'll be reunited with my coach after the holiday and I'll be happy to check that temperature for you. However, the Prevost TPMS is placed at an angle where it's not that easy to read the small numbers while driving as it's prone to glare. So, if I can do it safely, I'll try to remember to do it for you.

Gil,
    Not sure on the actual cost for them now. I had Mine lumped in with a lot of other work. But I would guess around 2500-3000. Please post a Picture or two of Your TPMS Monitor ? And how do those internal sensors mount ? What is the cost of that setup ? I got My Tyron's at Jeff's place / ETLC . He is a dealer for them now. After watching the Tyron video's a few times , It looked like a No Brainer to Me.

Thanks Rocky,

I went with TST's commercial vehicle system. It's suppose to be more robust than the RV system. I should say, I went with a hybrid system. They sent me the display unit for the RV that has a rechargeable battery instead of only being hard wired. They were so easy to work with. When I ordered the system they wanted to delay my order for 2 weeks because they had a few sensors in the last run that the battery seal would leak in heavy rain. When I said I was about to start a trip they sent me the suspect sensors and then followed up with sending me a complete new set when they were available. I mounted the repeater in a bathroom closet and haven't ever had a communications problem.

I'm doing a 365 front tire upgrade now and wanted the valve stem mounted internal sensors. These were discontinued because the number of SKUs would have been too great and some people where trying to make the available ones fit where they weren't intended. Although not on their web site yet, they went to internal band mounted sensors. They didn't develop their own band they used the one that is sometimes used on Corvette wheels. I'm not a fan of the banded sensors, so I stuck with the external sensors. BTW, the external sensors required a 1/2" longer valve stem on the new wheels.

Here's a link to the system I have. BTW, TST was just acquired by an air products company that focuses solely on the trucking industry. That should say something about their product in a commercial trucking environment. This system was also much less expensive when compared to the Pulse.
    https://tsttruck.com/product/4-tire-...toring-system/

I did some research on the Tyron system and am just not sold on there value yet. I can't find any OEM that uses or recommends them. The only fleet I read used them was a police department that later removed them. I also read a couple of stories where the bands came off in the wheels. I'm not suggesting they aren't a good safety investment, just that I'm not yet convinced.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Gil,
    I have read that insurance companies give a cheaper rate with the Tyron bands installed. I have not asked My agent for a discount yet. I just read that a few minutes ago. Marathon now installs them on their new coach's. As a pricey option I am sure. There are a few issues that I can see might be a problem with them. 1) The tire has to be balanced. I used Centramatics. 2) Tire maintenance on the road. Tyron safety band removal kit is about 150.00 , And any dealer that installs them. Should insist that this kit stay with the coach in case of emergency tire maintenance is required. It has tools and instructions to remove and re-install the bands.
    I did read about one gent that had a band come loose inside of His tire. I do not think that is a common occurrence. But a case of human error by the installer. Just like anything else. Tyron will replace Your Alcoa wheel if it is damaged from a flat with the band installed. Like You said , I hope I never have to test them !
    Safe travels..........