Thread: Need opinion on lightweight motorcycle on hitch carrier within tongue weight limits

Default Need opinion on lightweight motorcycle on hitch carrier within tongue weight limits

I believe I have read every post on this site along with many others regarding the safe tongue weight limits on a Prevost XL. I understand that my XL has a 1,000 lb. capacity measured at 8" from the hitch connection and that any weight beyond 8" increases the effective weight much like a lever arm with the mechanical advantage of length. I do not want to incur the damage that has been cited as potentially devastating due to excessive tongue weight forces. This means the 1,000 lb. HD Ultra Limited is staying off the back of the coach.

Plan #1 was to get a small scooter on a hitch carrier to buzz around a campground or into town. A 125cc scooter would be fun but wouldn't replace a lightweight motorcycle for a more adventuresome ride. I have been looking at getting a dual-sport or lightweight adventure motorcycle that is also relatively thin (measured from handlebar end to hanldebar end). A great option is Honda's CB500x which weights 427.6 pounds with a full tank of fuel (on reserve it would be about 400 pounds). It's width is about 31" measured at the handlebar (mirrors can fold in). A hitch carrier with sufficient capacity weighs between 57 and 65 pounds depending on the model. I would get one that would allow me to adjust the distance from the hitch to be about 16".

With the weight at 16" beyond the receiver connection (double the 8" rating) the 460-500 pound motorcycle including carrier would be just under or right at the 1,000 pound tongue limit. I understand that there are safety margins built into these ratings and that the weight of a motorcycle securely tied down to the hitch carrier will be more or less static load rather than the dynamic load experienced with the weight transfer on the tongue of a trailer undulating down the road with the coach.

Do you think I am safe in doing this being so close to the 1,000 lb tongue weight?

We don't own a toad yet but one option might be a toad with a large enough tongue weight capacity to put the motorcycle on the toad (not planning on getting a pickup truck with a bed for the motorcycle) or a toad that is smaller where the tow bar is connected to the output side of the motorcycle carrier when the motorcycle is on the back of the Prevost. The motorcycle carrier should not experiencing any real tongue weight increase due to towing four down with a tow bar as the forces would be in the same or opposite direction of travel.

Thoughts?
    Matthew & Elizabeth Valentine
    1997 Marathon Coach #450 XLV
    Glendale, Arizona

Matt,

I'm not sure the tongue weight limit drops in half when you double the distance from the receiver. The formula should be from some pivot or other load point. I don't know where that point is, but I have to believe its forward of the end of the receiver. If I'm correct, your 500 pound tongue load at 16" shouldn't be an issue.

I don't know if you've looked at the smart trailers, here's one manufacturer's product (CLICK HERE). The beauty of these trailers is that you increase your towed weight capacity and they track forward and reverse. You could tow any motorcycle behind your coach or behind many tow vehicles.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

@Gil - Thanks for the reply and the link. I have never seen the Smart Trailer product before. On quick glance it seems intriguing. Thank you sir.
    Matthew & Elizabeth Valentine
    1997 Marathon Coach #450 XLV
    Glendale, Arizona

U could add another 2 receivers to the back of the bus to increase the capacity.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

I am sure Matt has found his solution already but, I did this on a 35' Bluebird Wanderlodge using a 500lb capacity motorcycle carrier. I originally planned to bring my Triumph Explorer along, but quickly realized that it would exceed the loading capacity of the motorcycle carrier.
    What the manufacturers of these devices do not tell you is you need to consider the load placed on the carrier and the hitch mount while moving down the road. A 450 lb motorcycle, as the RV travels down the road through dips in the road surface can increase in weight dramatically so that I could see the actually down force on that carrier making that 450lb motorcycle more like 650 lbs. In the end, since I had already purchased the carrier, I bought a small 150cc scooter for transportation.

My determination on these motorcycle hitch carriers was, they are only safe for very lightweight motorcycles. Small dirt bikes, enduros or scooters. If you want to carry a Harley or other large bike, check out Overbuilt Lifts out of NY. They are pricey, but with their motorcycle lift, you can carrier your motorcycle and tow your toad or trailer.