Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: when to raise tag axle?

Thanks David!

Be prepared for something different on the next video!

Thanks Dale!

During our recent stay are Prevost Winter Garden, we had the pleasure of a long post flush test drive with Eugene. Eugene drove Prevost buses for 25 years or so then went to work for Prevost.

For what its worth, Eugene always raised the tag coming into any turn 90 degrees or more and put it down as soon as he exited the turn and started going straight.

Mark and Debbie Fratto
    1998 Parliament

I am new to having a Tag but in my brief time driving my bus so far, (under 1000 miles) i did notice on my first hard 90 degree turn in a parking lot the tag tires were scuffing pretty bad. I raised the tag and the issue went away. At that point I have been raising the tag on tight maneuvering situations every time. I don't think it hurts anything. and it's easy to do.
    Mike Giboney
    1992 Prevost Country Coach

Nice video Andy. Like Joe Camper I have lived in a trucking world for 40 years.
    I was reminded once that my Prevost is not a truck. Very true but many drivetrain & suspension components share similar characteristics. All of the comments I read here and Andy's video make for an educated decision about raising tag axles.

I tend to agree with Joe Camper. During a normal course of turning on any road you usually don't notice any significant or noticeable difference with the axle up or down. Noticeable river wear on the tag axle tires most likely would be unnoticeable being so close to the drive axle anyway. If you are an experienced tri-Axle dump truck driver or in our business using spread axle trailers, constantly flicking the dump valve on every 90 degree turn to raise the an axle is second nature and defiantly adds to decreased tire wear and a tighter turning radius. I raise my tag axle during low speed situations where turning into tight places is critical. If you own an older bus as we do, Joe is right. Fumbling around for the switch behind you is distracting. My first thought when I saw where the tag axle valve switch was located on our coach was " why didn't Prevost put it in a place that's easier to get to if it is so important?". Just sayin!
    1995 Liberty XL
    Chris & Sara Jo Behrens

I whole Agree with that
    1997 Liberty XL