Thread: Nashville To Jacksonville - Atlanta Road Closures

Default Nashville To Jacksonville - Atlanta Road Closures

I'm schedule do drive from Nashville to Jacksonville, FL tomorrow (Saturday, April 1st) and am looking or advice regarding the road closures in Atlanta. I'm planning on taking this trip over two days and am hoping someone can provide advice on if I can get through this mess or if not, a suggested route that will keep me less than 400 miles per day.

While I thought it was a good idea to plan driving through Atlanta on a Saturday, it seems this may not be a great idea and I welcome input. And yes, this is NOT an April Fool's Joke!

Input Appreciated.

You might want to steer well around Atlanta.

I-65 to Birmingham and then US-231 to I-10 might be an option. I'v taken 231 and it's a good route.

Another route would be I-40 to I-26 to I-95.
    Last edited by Gil_J; 03-31-2017 at 02:15 PM.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Now would be a nice time to have a Prevost Travel Agent!

On the 40/26/95 route, any suggestions on a place to overnight with hookups?

IMHO Rt. 231 between Montgomery and Dolthon is for sure the best alternative for Nashville to anywhere Florida, construction in Atlanta or not.

Great excuse to stop at the barber motorsports comlpex in Birmingham too.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 03-31-2017 at 05:57 PM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

Thanks Guys! I'm taking your advice and will go the I-65/231/10 route. I was even able to book a pull through hookup site. I've been dry camping for four days and it will be nice to hookup and not take Navy showers! After all, if Gil say's that 231 is a good ride, who am I to argue?

I considered the 40E route, but for this rookie, doing that in two days may be a bit too much. I have an appointment on Monday and if I didn't that route would be a nice three day route.

I thought it was a good decision to go through Atlanta on a Saturday, but with this highway closure, it will be a while until they get that fixed.

As an update, I took the 65/231/10 route and it provided a pleasant and relaxed driving experience. I divided it into two legs and camped overnight at Deer Run RV Park in Troy, Alabama. It's a small park with a variety of trailers, 5th wheels and Motorhomes as seasonal and short stay residents. The hosts were pleasant and the price for a level, gravel pull through was $35. Like Harvest Moon, a popcorn maker is located behind the front desk and a bag is provided at check in.

I only hit one parking lot 17 miles outside of Jacksonville that was a result of a nasty accident. I think it was a good decision to avoid the Atlanta area at least until they get their traffic patterns under control.

I work in Atlanta three days a week and am pleasantly surprised by how well people have adapted to the road closures. I would not re-route any trip through Atlanta merely because of the I-85 closure. I would merely be cognizant of what hours I passed through the city. That said, I would take that advice any time you need to drive a bus through Atlanta.
    Towson Engsberg
    2006 Legendary XLii DS

Towson, thanks! It's always good to get information from someone that is local.
    Last edited by Gil_J; 04-04-2017 at 10:03 PM.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion