Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Howard Active Steering

Default Howard Active Steering

Here is a gadget for the guru.

This takes the pull out of the wheel in a strong crosswind or on a road with a big crown. It's steering trim.
    IMHO very cool and probably 1 in 50 buses have it, maybe less.

I'm reinstalling a cylinder that had been removed by another so a leak could be repaired.

I have an owners opporator manual but not a service manual. I've done a search to find a service or repair manual with no luck.

I'm concerned with initially getting all the air out and without specific instructions I can only apply the procedures that apply to most other hydraulic systems in terms of getting out air.

This may or may not be an issue and the air may even blead itself out by turning the wheel stop to stop. Maybe not. If I had to guess I'd say there is a pretty specific procedure.

Has anyone removed and replaced the stabilizer cylinder that can help answer or can someone lead me to a service manual.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 03-01-2017 at 08:01 AM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

Sealy, Texas (50 miles west of Houston on I-10)

Joe, my coach has Howard Steering. It is an awesome system. Howard Steering went out of business when its inventor passed away. The heirs of Howard have the steering system embedded with other inventions, and will not sell the system separately. I spent hours doing research, even talking to the estate's attorney.
    I spent a sizeable amount of money trying to have the cylinder repaired to no avail. I talked with a couple of charter bus companies who also gave the system high marks, but have removed the system from their bus fleet because of a lack of service.

I would love to find someone capable of repairing the cylinder, to get mine back in service. Maybe we can talk later in the day so I can tell you what I have found about the system.

Pete & EJ Petree
    2001 Prevost Featherlite Vantare
    2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4x4
    Sealy, Texas

Hey Pete good mornin.

I can give u a shop that rebuilt this Howard cylinder tomorrow when I get back to work with it.

I have located a service manual unfortunately a quick look through didnt supply the info I was looking for in terms of filling the system for the first time. I'll read it in its entirety later today maybe it's in there hiding.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

Great! As I mentioned, I had mine rebuilt (supposedly) and it did not work....for some reason, it pumps the fluid into a canister mounted on the wall of the compartment under the drivers seat. Sure hope you have found a solution to the problem, as I would really like to have mine put back in operation.

Pete & EJ Petree
    Sealy, Texas

It's my understanding this feature is been exclusive to Newell and Newmar for many years, but it's now available on other coach brands, such as Foretravel. While the names are a bit different, Newmar calls it Comfort Steer.

I did drive a Newell with this feature through 20 mph cross winds and the steering wheel automatically corrected. It was a bit unusual at first, but it's easy to see the benefits. Newmar owners rave about this feature.

I think it's the bomb. Pete that is what was happening on this one too. The overflow resurvaur overflows. Hope he has better results with his rebuilder than u did. I'll let u know. Still a couple days before we get the bus back on all 4s.

Doesn't suprise me the accessory gets rave reviews
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

Great! Can't wait to hear the results.

Pete & EJ Petree
    Sealy, Texas

Joe, any word on the Howard cylinder rebuild? Was it successful?

Pete & EJ Petree
    Sealy, Texas

In a word. No. It leaked in places it didn't before he removed it.

Im going back there after I get back to Chicago. He's not ready to give up on it.

Left home yesterday 4pm. I'm sitting in a rest area on I-75 at the FL line and my trip odometer is at 950. I love my camper.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

Great, I want to see your camper when you finish it. And please keep us up on the Howard steering job. Take care.

Pete & EJ Petree
    Sealy, Texas