Thread: Valve cores

Default Valve cores

I'm relatively new at the Prevost experience and my lack of experience and ignorance will become apparent in the context of my question. I have two leaking valve cores on our XL and want to replace them. Are most valve cores created equal? I have seen different pressure rating for certain brands in terms of maximum PSI ratings and on some brands such as NAPA, no maximum PSI ratings stated at all.
    Thanks for any information and recommendations,
    Don Rice

That's not a dumb question. I never heard of it and inquiry with another quite knowledgable source said the same. Anytime ive bought any they ask how many and give me a bag of them.

U have tweeked my curiosity I'm looking to another. Interesting question. If napa has choices I'm thinking maybe there might be something to that. Looking further.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 02-20-2017 at 04:14 PM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

Don,

Great question. Looks like Schrader recommends part number 05405 for trucks and buses; broader temperature range, higher pressures, and stronger spring:

http://yourtireshopsupply.com/category/9_331_867/valve-cores-standard

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by travelite; 02-20-2017 at 06:41 PM.

Great question. Most don't consider the differences or may not know there are differences. What saves us is that we typically buy valve cores and valve stems with our tires at truck tire shops. Hopefully, they know what a truck needs. Of course, that doesn't help if you're at your local auto parts store needing a core.

So, why do you have leaking cores? My current coach had multiple leaking cores. If your tires have a balancing product in them, most of those products require valve cores with filters. So, why did someone install Equal in my tires and not the filtered cores? In my case, the valve stems were not compatible with the correct cores. The distance from the core to the bend in the valve stem was too short. This may not be your case, but it could be.

Keep those questions coming,

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Thank you for the replies to my question and the information from travelite from Schrader was very helpful and interesting. I had googled all over the place and finally managed later today to identify some truck/bus specific tire valves for trucks and buses thru a company by the name of Zoro and they listed Tru-Flate valve cores Mfr#:38-790-4 or Mfr#:38-790-100 that they identify as specific for trucks and buses. All of my local auto parts stores were clueless and lacking in knowledge including NAPA, O'Reillys, AutoZone, and CarQuest. It appears to me at this point that all valve cores are not the same. I bought the Prevost that I own about two years ago and it is a 2000 Prevost/2001 Liberty conversion and it came with new Michelin tires but I am about as uninformed and clueless as to all of the details of anything Prevost as is possible. I'm thinking that something in the tires is creating problems as this leaking of tire valves has been an on going problem. I purchased the bus as a first time Provost buyer with absolutely no knowledge of the bus or the converter(ignorance on my part!) and received minimal "training"(1/2 day) from the dealer I bought it from and it did not even come with an "operator's manual" from Prevost or Liberty, which was all my fault due to my ignorance and lack of knowledge. My wife and I travelled with the bus for the 2014-2015 winter season and then placed it in indoor storage in the spring of 2015. We were unable to travel last winter 2015-2016 for business reasons and are now trying to get on the road again for an escape from the Minnesota winter. When we first purchased our Prevost Liberty we attended a rally in Louisville and Roger Foster was very helpful in walking me thru the basics of operational aspects of our bus which the dealer we purchased our coach from had sadly failed to do. A belated thank you to Roger......thank you for all of you time and help!!

If you don't see wheel balancing weights, you likely have a balancing product in your tires. Here's one place to get the filter valve cores: http://yourtireshopsupply.com/produc...lve-core-eqfvc

BTW, I have had pretty good luck with Ryder Fleet Products when I'm looking for standard truck related parts.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Gil,
    There are no wheel balancing weights so I'm guessing the balancing product in the tires is causing the issues with the valve cores. Thanks for the link.

Hello Don and Aretta. Glad to see you posting and asking questions. We have great people on POG site and are anxious to be of help. Keep asking questions and thanks for the kind words.

Micki says hello and hopefully we will see you down the road sometime soon. We plan on the Santa Fe, NM rally this fall - ya'll should too!
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost

Hi Roger to you and Micki - we are planning on the Santa Fe rally as well and look forward to seeing you there. We are presently scrambling to leave for Las Vegas for the Western States Veterinary convention and I'm trying to get everything operational. I have not had the coach out of storage since April of 2015 as I had to give up retirement for awhile and go back to work. I'll have to get a refresher course in some of the operational aspects when our paths cross once again!

We are looking forward to seeing yall!
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost