Thread: Front wheel removal of 1998 Prevost XL

Threaded View

A semi at 80000 lb on 5axles is averaging 16000lb per axle. A bus that's 54000lb on 3 axle averages 18000lb per axle and that has to be considered.

What r u refering to when u mentioned u replaced the master cylinder??

R your disc brakes Rockwell on the tag and knorr bremse on the steer? Either way those bolts attaching the knorr bremse caliper bracket to the axle housing r for sure some of the most difficult bolts any mechanic will ever encounter. You have to pull it to get the rotor off. They also carry no locking fasteners. They r installed to spec with massive amounts of locktight. That's how they come from the factory. Separating rotors from hubs on Rockwell disc is also very very physically demanding. If u preformed this repair u r stronger than the average guy.

What seal on the drives is leaking? The axle gasket on the outside or the inner hub seal?

Although I would never stab the brakes to test them on a motorhome for all the obvious reasons I'm not entirely confident if I had to that the antilock would actually come to play. Or im not completely confident it is possible on dry road to activate the antilock.

Has anyone out there ever had to panic stop on a dry road and felt the antilock opporating? Ive driven many loaded semi and many different prevo and a loaded semi can stop more comfortably than any prevo motorhome I ever drove but I've thankfully never had to make a real hard panic stop with a bus. My comparison can only be based on normal to slightly harder than normal stops.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 10-26-2016 at 07:51 PM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines